Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can you run an engine on moonshine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Beginning Member
gibson_es is on a distinguished road

I would never pour my moonshine in the tank of a car, that's a waste of shine, I think the more appropriate question is this, would there be damage if you did it once? Such as, out of gas and need to make it to the station. But onless you ran out of gas in your own yard, you most likely wont have shine on you. Lol.

I agree to just selling it for gas money.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

Remember, Grain alcohol (moonshine) is a whole lot different than 2 gallons of Isopropal Alcohol... My cousin learned that the hard way! No, it will NOT make your car faster to dump in a buttload of rubbing alcohol! We made it about 5 miles from the gas station...

Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Beginning Member

Gee. Hmm... I will keep that in mind. Lol.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

ummmm, NASCAR got started by guys running shine, you do know this means transporting moonshine and not that the cars were running on moonshine instead of gas.

Last edited by Mczuk; 10-24-2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Trip.. is on a distinguished road

Even dudes from Norway know about 'shine and Nascar!!! That cool!

I personally hate Nascar, I don't have the patience to watch 50 hillbillies chase each other around in a circle for 500 miles! My race is over in 1/4 mile and I only turn left at the END of a race and that's to head back to the pits!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Beginning Member

Not trying to be rude, but if you think that's all Nascar is, your ignorant to Nascar. Its not just speed, or driving abilities, it's strategy as well, there's more to Nascar then most people think. I love going to a race, not just Nascar, I used to go to the superlate model races localy as well. But it got to were they never had to pit and to me that's half the equation.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 PM
willyman82 is on a distinguished road

Youll blow the fuel injection manifold!!! I couldnt resist quoting BTTF III. It would have to be some seriously high proof to get it out the back of the car.

Seriously though, that thing kinda looks like the dumb spider in these engines. It probably would not atomize correctly, even if the mixture was close enough to burn. It might cough a bit, but it would never run. In the long term, everything in the system would rust and you would be replacing a lot of parts. I think some alcohol products can be used to clear water from the system in low doses, but I dont know much about that.

Attached Thumbnails Can you run an engine on moonshine?-the_doc2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Could you run it on alcohol, yes. Here are a list of changes that you'll probably need to make first.

1. Pump compatible with alcohol
2. Fuel lines that aren't going to break down. You should be more worried about the rubber getting soft and clogging injectors/filter which will happen way before anything gets rusty in the system.
3. Injectors that are going to flow enough. You are going to be using somewhere around 150% more alcohol than gasoline. So 3 gallons of alcohol will equal 2 gallons of gasoline.
4. Get a tune done on the ECM to account for the extra fuel required as well as disabling the O2 sensors.
5. You're also going to want to pull the heads and have them milled. Not worth running alcohol and not drastically increase the compression so you can make use of it.

That's the condensed version I can think of. So right there you are already 3-4 years behind in fuel savings. Assuming you can produce the alcohol cheap enough and in large enough quantities.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

You know whats cheaper then running your car on moonshine? Running anhydrous ammonia in it....but because it will doesn't mean I'm going to strap an anhydrous ammonia tank to the bed of my truck lol