Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Crank no start fuel???

Old 12-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Starting Member
ThaOldMan is on a distinguished road
Default Crank no start fuel???

1999 Chev Blazer 4dr, 2wd 4.3ltr. 145535 miles, new fuel filter at 139560
Good Battery, will not even fire at all.
I drilled a 1/4" hole in cap where air enters the plenum, and JB welded a 1/4" clear plastic hose into the hole and ran the hose out by the drivers side windshield wiper.
I can spray small amount of Carb Cleaner into the hose, engine starts, runs fine, drive great all day long.
The no start is only when engine is cold or has sat for several hours.
HELP!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Crank no start fuel???-aen.jpg  
Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you have narrowed it down to a fuel supply issue.

If you cycle the key several times, waiting each time that the key is on for the fuel pump to turn off, will the truck start after 3-4 cycles?

Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Some autoparts stores will rent them out. Once you have one, run through the diagnostic procedure as outlined by Captain Hook in THIS POST.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:08 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I had a Chevy come into my shop that was doing the same - changed out the temp sending unit for the ecm - after changing it out the prob was gone - Just a thot

Old 12-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

odat, I'm guessing that was an older model. The newer trucks should start just fine with fluky info from the temp sensor. The newer ones rely much more heavily on the MAF & O2 sensors rather than the MAP & temp sensor (in the case of the TBI motors I know it was a sending unit, not a sensor) like the older TBI engines did.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:10 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Well it was a thot lol - yes it was a few years back - maybe a mid 80s truck don't really remember for sure - thanks for the reply