Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cranking but no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:52 PM
pitmama74 is on a distinguished road
Default Cranking but no start

I have a 03 blazer with 4.3 vortec. Truck has been starting with no problems new battery and alter. But it has been getting terrible mpg and hesitation when rpm hits 2 to 2.5 kinda like a dead spot if it were carburetor. Took to corner on sun was fine. Monday morning just cranks and cranks with no start not even with starting fluid which caused a "poof " maf is clean. Fuel pump can be heard turning on and off. Fuel pressure a Schrader good, fuses good. I have been looking at other posts and my head is spinning. I do not have the money to replace a million things my husband recovering from back surgery and this is my only transportation. Can anyone please help ?? Fuel pump, and fuel filter was both replaced on the summer, along with wires, plugs, cap & button. And has had a large evap code leak which haven't been able to get checked out due to financial situation

Last edited by pitmama74; 02-02-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Has the check engine light been on recently while driving? If it doesn't start by adding fuel, the problem could be lack of spark? Have you checked if it has spark? (in the future, don't use starting fluid, way too dangerous).

Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Has the check engine light been on recently while driving? If it doesn't start by adding fuel, the problem could be lack of spark? Have you checked if it has spark? (in the future, don't use starting fluid, way too dangerous).
Service engine light was on due to large evap leak which was never checked out but has been on since spring. This is 1st time it's never not started. Was getting horrible mpg and a lil hesitation here aND there. Don't know where to start can't afford to replace all the sensors. As soon as rain let's up my husband is going to check the spark. I'll update when I have an answer on that.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

We can help you diagnose the problem so you don't end up buying stuff that is not necessary. It will require some testing on your part, but we will guide you.

Have you had the codes retrieved since the current problem showed up? If not, we will need to know what codes are in memory, and the order that they are retrieved. If you haven't had the EVAP problem diagnosed and repaired, that code will still be in memory. We need to know if there are any additional codes in memory, and if so, which codes are they.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Update : followed the advise from you on a dif thread, with checking distributor cap no spark off maybe 2 or 3 and some corrosion. Replaced cap and button and it started. This will be getting done again soon as short on money and got cheap ****. So AC Delco will be getting put in. As for the EVAP code it's cleared out but I think it was P0455 and it's not the gas cap.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 PM

Glad you got her going! Thanks for posting back.