Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Damaged wires causing 4wd issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
old 5k0ol is on a distinguished road
Default Damaged wires causing 4wd issues?

2001 gmc jimmy 4 button 4wd...

I had a tccm burn up and melt some wires, I bought the plug and installed the tabs one by one to make sure of their placement. I then spliced all the wire with shrink able crimp connectors. After that I ended up having to replace the encoder motor.

When I start the car, the 4wd switch lights up saying 4hi, couple secs later tccm clicks and 4wd indicator goes off and I don't have 4wd.

I'm getting frustrated with this because I live on a hill that the city likes to neglect.

Any clues?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Well, since you got a new tccm, try a tccm relearn. pull the tccm fuse from under the dash, for 30 minutes, put the fuse back in, and give it a try.

I say this far too often for 4wd problems, but you never know if it will work or not, and in this situation, I really think it could work.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The switch to TCCM communication in the NV236 4-button system works off of resistance. You need to verify the resistance of the circuit at the TCCM connector from the switch for the various states; no buttons pushed, and each of the buttons pushed in turn. The NV236 Wiring & Diagnostic Information post found in the Tech Article (DIY) section contains the relevant details for performing the tasks necessary to get to the bottom of your current predicament.

On those specific wires, I would recommend soldering them together the using heat shrink tubing rather than using a butt connector, but but only on the two wires that are responsible for the switch to TCCM communication.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM
old 5k0ol is on a distinguished road

since the switch indicators do not stay on, will the switch work for me to test both on and off of 4wd?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since the resistance of the switch is not tied to the lights or transfer case state (as the wiring diagrams show also), yes, you can test regardless of whether the lights are coming on or whether the transfer case is remaining in 4wd; depending on what you mean by 'both on and off of 4wd'. You need the resistance values to be at or near what is listed in the thread I detailed above.