Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Starting Member

musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Default dangerously low oil pressure at idle?

Hey guys, well after the engine gets warmed up in my 1994 S15, the oil pressure seems to be very low according to the gauge when idling, like a stop lights. Here's a picture of it idling with my foot off the gas:

Click the image to open in full size.

and here's a picture of the gauge after lightly pressing the gas pedal

Click the image to open in full size.

Is that normal? Maybe the mesh on the oil pickup is dirtied up? What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Starting Member
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Could be crap in the pick up. My wifes taurus did that. Could be bad bearings, that is what my K1500 did. When the cam bearings went.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 AM

Qumodo is on a distinguished road

my 89 does the same thing i thought it was just a faulty gauge or a bad sensor.

Things to come:
SAS (This Winter)
off road lights
31 Inch Mud-terrains

Last edited by Qumodo; 12-26-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Starting Member

musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road

Should I be worried about it? The truck shakes just a little at idle if that makes a difference. Should I drop the oil pan and clean it out?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:22 AM

Qumodo is on a distinguished road

i haven't had a chance to check on mine yet but i wouldn't be terribly worried about it as long as you have the proper amount of oil in there. make sure you don't have any serious leaks, its most likely a bad pressure sensor. im going to replace my sensor this weekend i'll let you know if that fixes it, its not an expensive part anyway. the sensor is usually located next to the oil filter but like i said i haven't had a chance to look yet. will keep you posted.

add: just looked on autozone.com $22 buck for the part here is the link.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=53-0

Things to come:
SAS (This Winter)
off road lights
31 Inch Mud-terrains

Last edited by Qumodo; 12-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Starting Member
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

UR 4x4 right pita to drop pan but if you gonna drop the pan and clean it out might as well change the pump while ur in there, but i read some were that 7lb is all you need at idle.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator
2013 Cadillac ATS

rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

When in doubt, connect a mechanical pressure gauge to the pressure sending unit and compare the two gauge readings.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:14 PM

southerntidefan is on a distinguished road

I changed to hiflow oil pump and get 35 at idle and up to 65 running
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Administrator
2013 Cadillac ATS

rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

That's good, but a standard oil pump will do the same.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 AM
1989 GMC S-15

mr.vls will become famous soon enough

My 89 S15 Jimmy does the exact same thing. I have a new sending unit and replacement oil pressure gage and no changes. If I ever decide to pull the pan which requires pulling the engine I will install a high volume oil pump. I am not concerned about though.
1989 S15 Jimmy (DD) with 450K Miles, GM Factory Rebuilt Engine/Trans. New Paint, Headliner, New Suspension Bushings, Eddlebrock Waterpump/Shocks, Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator and in line Fuel Gage, Injector Spacer, K&N Air Filter, Stock Exhaust, Michalin X-Radial Tires (215/70) Stock Rally Rims, Pioneer Head Unit, IPOD Adapter, Pioneer 4X6 Plates in the front, Pioneer 6X9 5 way sp Rear, 8" Clarion enclosed amp & supwoofer, 10 Disk CD Player. ABS Headliner, Original Owner.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Closed Thread

Tags
1989, 1996, 1999, 43, blazer, chevy, corvette, dangerously, drop, idle, low, make, normal, oil, pressure