Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Dex Cool

Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road
Default Dex Cool

How important is it to run Dex Cool in my 02 Blazer. I have heard night mare stories about using it but also have heard that you should n't use anything but it. So what is the real story. At the moment I have a high quality universal coolant in my truck but it hasn't been in long. I replaced the radiator recently due to leaks and the old coolant was Dex but it was loaded with crap.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Common knowledge has that the crap that Dexcool produces is a result of cross contamination of green coolant. Must be a complete flush when changing back to Dexcool.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

if it was a clean fill with universal stick with universal
if crud is still showing up from the dexcool , flush and refill with clean universal

I have seen crud show up in dexcool virgin systems
IMO dexcool is and was just a money grab
IIRC it was about $20 / gl when it first came out and the only place you could get it way back then was GM

Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Starting Member

Yeah it was a pretty clean fill. I do still plan on doing another complete flush i am going to stay with the universal. Most of the crud that came out was with all Dex in the first place. Probably another case of original owner believing you could run for 5 years on a coolant change.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Ive run both dexcool/universal coolants in these trucks with no issues... Just make sure you flush every few years as recommended. Most universal "All makes all models" coolants are just dex-clones these days anyways.

IMO The important thing with these trucks is to make sure your LIM gaskets are in good shape so there's no air in the system.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Dexcool protects aluminum from corrosion, ethylene glycol, (green) does not. The radiator, heater core, & lower intake manifold are aluminum. Besides intake gaskets, these are the three most common things that leak on these vehicles. If Dexcool is not flushed regularly, (3 yrs / 36K miles) corrosion will ocurr, the intake gaskets will deteriorate, and the leaks will start sprouting.

If the brand of "universal coolant" that you use says it protects aluminum, make sure it does not have silicate, (most do). The silicate, (sand) will destroy the water pump seals, and it'll start leaking. If you're not sure if it's silicate free, stay away, unless you like replacing the water pump

As long as you maintain Dexcool properly, in the long run it's far less expensive than any other coolant.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Thread jack: If your pet drinks ethylene glycol because it tasts good, the first aid is to make it drink spirits of grain or potatos, with as high a proof as you can find. Yup 191 gin. Find a vet as soon as possible, you've got about two hours. Thread unjack.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Starting Member

Thanks Cap. those where the definitive type answers I was looking for. The why's, and why not's.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:24 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
... If Dexcool is not flushed regularly, (3 yrs / 36K miles) corrosion will ocurr, the intake gaskets will deteriorate, and the leaks will start sprouting...
Oh, that lower intake manifold gasket is going to deteriorate no matter what coolant you use, unless you replace it with the Fel-Pro gasket.
That being said, we have enough 'Dex-Cool' threads, so...

*THREAD CLOSED*