Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine cold coolant drip

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Default engine cold coolant drip

I have replaced shocks, and installed a reese hitch for the rear and built a receiver for the front.....fun stuff so far ;-)

When starting cold and driving into garage and shutting down, i noticed a couple of spoonfuls of coolant on the floor, right in center and pretty close to directly under water pump {this is nice clear, clean coolant]. This has happened a couple of times under the same conditions.......I have not noticed any leakage anywhere after warmup.......

I am assuming that the pump seal is leaking out the weep hole when cold and sealing after heat expansion occurs.......

that's about the only idea that i have about it????.......I hope it holds off long enough for a little warmer weather.........we are currently under a snow attack

I'm beginning to really like my little blazer and my better half does too........i don't think the impala has been out of the garage in 10 days........

if anyone has a better explanation let me know......if not I will probably order a water pump and wait for a good day.....

Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Lower intake gaskets usually leak in the corners. Coolant will run down from under the A/C compressor and travel along the block, usually dripping in the middle, right below the water pump. Expansion and contraction rates of the cast iron block & heads is different than the aluminum intake, which destroys the OEM style gaskets. Better go rent a cooling system pressure tester, unbolt the A/C compressor and pump her up. When you return the tester, you'll probably come home with an intake gasket set, (Felpro MS98002T), just a guess though

Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 AM
Starting Member

Thanks, I'll let this forum know when i find out, [when i am 100% sure], I don't mind the water pump job.....but at my age, I'm pretty tired of the harder jobs, my back just won't take it any more.......if it is the "infamous manifold leak"......I'll just add a cup full of coolant at oil changes......

I would think that a cold engine would be less likely to push any coolant out.....than a hot engine with pressure built up and thermostat open.....???

It sure used to be easier when you actually SEE
the damn engine ;-)

Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Once the gasket takes a crap, temperature doesn't really matter Lower intakes aren't all that bad, even for an old fart like me with a bad back. If you jack up the rear end, it makes it much easier to work on the gaskets

Old 02-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Starting Member

Jack up the blazer back end or mine

Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Either one would work, just less awkward if you jack up the Blazer