Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine Rattle Suspect Spun Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Engine Rattle Suspect Spun Bearing

I have a rattle coming from the rear of the engine. I have replaced the CAT and had a trans shop inspect the flex plate and no problems there. The exhaust is tight. The noise is a rattle and not a knock along with a high pitched whine under load. I am looking for ideas. If it is a spun bearing can I pull the engine and just replace the bearing? I am going to take it to my local mechanic for a diagnosis. It is not the drive train or wheel bearings because it will rattle while the car is stationary. This is a 2WD S15 Jimmy and to remove the oil pan the engine has to come out. I have everything I need to remove the engine I just want to know if it is worth a try to remove the oil pan and just replace the suspect bearings.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have a high flow/high volume edelbrock water pump that was causing vibration in the heater core and a high pitch whine. The shop installed a reducer into the supply line and the rattle and high pitch noise are gone. I would never have looked at the cooling system for the source of the noise. But I am relieved that it was not in the engine. I actually did a google search and found that the high pitch wine can be caused from high velocity and the fix is a reducer in the supply line with no adverse effects.