Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine spun a rod bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Pete Chavez is on a distinguished road
Default Engine spun a rod bearing

I have a 1994 chevy blazer 4x4, 5.7 f.i. First thing my transmission went out and I rebuilt that, thinking the banging noise was from the tranny or torque convertor, restarted it and come to find out it was my engine, knocking, spun a rod bearing...

My Question is can I replace the crank and bearings without pulling the engine out?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

If you have enough room to get the oil pan out then you usually can and if you dont you can undo the motor mounts and jack the engine up by the bell housing a couple inches if there is room which i imagine there would be in a K5.

I have done it this way on some 4runners but although its possible its usually a lot more work than its worth because if you pull it out and find that the bearing is nonexistent then you just have to pull the engine out anyway and get it line honed if its out of tolerance (which happened to my friend and i so we just got a new engine)

Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
If you have enough room to get the oil pan out then you usually can and if you dont you can undo the motor mounts and jack the engine up by the bell housing a couple inches if there is room which i imagine there would be in a K5.

I have done it this way on some 4runners but although its possible its usually a lot more work than its worth because if you pull it out and find that the bearing is nonexistent then you just have to pull the engine out anyway and get it line honed if its out of tolerance (which happened to my friend and i so we just got a new engine)
I am putting in a new crankshaft, I just hope the main bearings are fine...Taking off the chain and harmonic balancer is my main concern, and putting in the new crank upside-down would be a challenge

Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pete Chavez
... and putting in the new crank upside-down would be a challenge
Yeah that part isnt fun. I honestly cant say for sure tho because i have never looked at a K5 from underneath

Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Talking Replaced engine instead

Just finished replacing the engine, sounds good just need to adjust the timing...would have have been a real b$%@h if I would have just done the bearings...NOTE FOR THOUGHT...take engine out replace or overhaul no need to leave it in...