Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine stalls ... A/C compressor binding?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:51 PM
SyberTiger is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Engine stalls ... What's the culprit?

Problem seems to be at low RPM such as when you are sitting at a stop light. Anyone one have a checklist on where to start?

Last edited by SyberTiger; 02-14-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Does the check engine light come on with the bulb check?
Is the check engine light on while driving?
Are there any trouble codes in memory?
If so, what are they, and in what order were they retrieved?
Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/
When was the last "good" tune up using AC Delco parts? (plugs, wires, cap & rotor)

Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you suspect the compressor, pull the belt and spin it by hand, along with everything else except the crankshaft pulley. I highly doubt any accessories are the cause, though. Otherwise, do as recommend above.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Does the check engine light come on with the bulb check?
Is the check engine light on while driving?
Are there any trouble codes in memory?
If so, what are they, and in what order were they retrieved?
Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/
When was the last "good" tune up using AC Delco parts? (plugs, wires, cap & rotor)
The check engine light never came on and I checked the OBD-II but it never threw a code. I decided the only thing that made sense was that either her fuel pump was having issues or the fuel filter was way past due for a replacement. Since it doesn't hurt to change out a fuel filter that is past due and since it's only about $10 for the filter I changed it out. While fiddling with her vehicle I went ahead and did a cursory cleanout of the intake and cleaned the MAF sensor.

The update: It appears the issue was the fuel filter. My girlfriend always likes to drive around with the fuel gauge pointing below empty despite me telling her over and over again not to let in go below 1/4 tank. I'm surprised she hasn't killed her fuel pump yet.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:39 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

A fuel pump will not overheat by running on a low tank of fuel - a factory tank has a container built in and the pump sits in it and all the return fuel fills it and keeps the pump submersed and cool.
Also the intank pumps have a sock filter on them as a pre filter before entering the pump - except for minute solids everything should be stopped before ever entering pump
Prob the worst thing that should happen to her by running on a low tank all the time is walking after a can of gas because of running out of fuel

Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by odat
A fuel pump will not overheat by running on a low tank of fuel - a factory tank has a container built in and the pump sits in it and all the return fuel fills it and keeps the pump submersed and cool.
Also the intank pumps have a sock filter on them as a pre filter before entering the pump - except for minute solids everything should be stopped before ever entering pump
Prob the worst thing that should happen to her by running on a low tank all the time is walking after a can of gas because of running out of fuel
The pump isn't submerged the way she drives it. She's pretty good about squeezing out every last drop before she refills ... but she's miscalculated a few times and I've had to bring along the gas can those few times.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Odat is right! The fuel return line is directed into the fuel pump module housing where the fuel pump is mounted. Whenever the engine is running, the pump is completely submerged in fuel, regardless of the fuel level. If you run out of fuel, the engine and fuel pump both stop running. The bad thing about running it low on fuel, is if there is debris in the tank, there is a higher concentration of dirt in the remaining fuel, and the filter clogs up. It costs the same to fill the top half of the tank, as it does to fill the bottom half

Anyway, thanks for posting back with the "fix".

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-17-2016 at 02:18 PM.