Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 Blazer 4.3 Freeze Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
dashyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 Blazer 4.3 Freeze Plugs

It seems that 3 or 4 of my freeze plugs are leaking - is this a common problem with the Vortex engines? And of course they are ALL hard if not impossible to get to - any suggestions?

Old 12-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 95 Blazer 4.3 Freeze Plugs

I don't have any experience with this, but i'm gonna guess that plumber's teflon tape might do the trick. It's just white tape (not sticky) that you wrap around the threads, and it seals it up. Best of all, it's like one dollar for a whole roll of it, home depot, lowes, etc. I'm not sure about the heat tolerance, but it's a possibility. By the way, its vortec, not vortex.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that they are press in. Pretty much are a pain right in the A$$ to replace with the motor in. You really have to pull the manifolds to get a good look at them and if I remember correctly... Good Luck. If you are going to do it, I'd recommend pulling the motor and replacing ALL of them while you're at it. With them out, flush out the coolant passages in the block, heads, intake as well as the radiator and heater core.

*EDIT* - Oh yeah, almost forgot. Here's a link to a set of freeze plugs up on eBay. Yup, they're press ins.
eBay 4.3L Freeze Plug Kit

Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your positive its your freeze plugs???????

That would be like the worst case scenario!!!!!

I want to hear more info on your truck, year, make, model, miles, etc. I also want to know why you suspect it is your freese plugs. It is possible they are leaking, although it is not the most liekly candidate. Usually leak afer your block froze solid, and if you have any anti-freeze I doubt it froze solid. As the term implies, freeze plugs. As the water freezes it expands, it must have someplace to go, or it will destroy the engine block. The freeze plugs are the release valve, safety valve if you will. It is extremely rare they will leak, however it does happen. But it wouldn't be the first place I looked for a leak.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:24 PM
dashyman is an unknown quantity at this point

the freeze plugs are pressed in - no threads, Permatex is the suggested sealer. The white tape would only slide off

It is definitely the freeze plugs the two that are leaking are visible one with the wheel off the other is behind the starter - noticed the drip drip when I changed the starter - corroded contacts from the antifreeze. I thought changing the spark plugs was hard - its nothing in comparison the where most of these plugs are located!

On another note, to change the blower motor and relay you have to cut them out of the plastic box instead of a couple of screws! Ah American ingenuity

Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah you hit on a couple of the flaws in the design. I have now idea why they went to the cut out style on the blower moter. Used to be screwed in place and real easy to replace.

yea, the freeze plugs are usually only serviced during engine overhauls, which happens when the engine is out of the truck.

If you really don't want to mess with them, there is anotehr way to seal them. Granted it might not be perfect, nor proper, however it should work for a while. Might try some gasket maker sealent, or JB Weld just where the plug leaks. Don't fill the hole with either. Although the proper way would be to pop the old ones out and pound in some new ones.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
ride4square is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I have a question about the freeze plugs in my Chevy Blazer 95' I recently bought a blazer for 1000$ and The problem with it was the freeze plugs were leaking really bad so i have to reaplace two of them. I took it to are local shop, and there charging me 6-700$ to fix the problem!! They said they will need to remove my transmission to get to them. Is there any way around this?? I really cant afford another fix. Any hints? Please help. asap.
Please please feel free to IM me at ride4square. I just think its crazy for the price to change them. Freeze plugs them self dont cost much do they?
If this will help any its a '95 S10 Blazer, 2WD, 4-Door, 4.3L V6

COMBINING POSTS

Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Please please feel free to IM me at ride4square. I just think its crazy for the price to change them. Freeze plugs them self dont cost much do they?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM

If this will help any its a '95 S10 Blazer, 2WD, 4-Door, 4.3L V6

Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post. It is not proper to keep posting in the same thread if someone else has not yet replied. Also, please put your vehicle information in your signature (accessible via your profile) and attach it to your posts. This way you do not have to include it in your post text every time you ask for help.

About your problem, it all depends on where the leaking freeze plugs are. There should not be any freeze plugs on the back of the engine so the removal of the transmission is baffling. Now, if they said they needed to remove the engine, that may partially be true due to two of the side freeze plugs being located under the motor mounts. It all depends on how the shop normally does freeze plugs. I would agree that the price you were quoted seems ridiculously high, but given the age of the vehicle and likelihood of encountering other problems along the way, it may be closer to reality than originally suspected.