Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Freeze plug question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:45 AM
specialty8 is on a distinguished road
Default Freeze plug question

Hey guys bought another 2 door yesterday. It's an 01 with 101,000 for $500. The owner said he took it to a guy and had water pump and thermostat replaced. During that time the guy pushed it outside and let it sit with just water in it. His anti- freeze was still on the floor unopened. He said he was told it cracked the block but he didn't know for sure. This morning I got to checking and the freeze plug on the drivers side was completely blown out so I thought I got lucky. After some work I put a new one in. Started putting in some water. After about a few quarts I felt real good about it then that sound of water hitting the ground began. S###. So I inspected the other side and the freeze plug right above the starter was not leaking and as well as I can tell it looks (water) to be coming from behind the starter someplace. Is there yet another freeze plug or a drain plug in behind it or something else that could have busted other than the block? With a freeze plug right above the starter it looks like that would have blown before cracking the block. How many freeze plugs do these 4.3's have? Any ideas or do you think it is finished as far as this engine. I was prepared to replaced it but I would obviously rather not. Thanks for any help on what to check.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
specialty8 is on a distinguished road
Default up date

After beating in the drivers side plug, it was not to bad actually using socket that fit tight, a swivel and a long extension, I looked more for the right side leak. While under the truck I had my wife pour water into it and found water gushing out behind the motor mount. I was really relieved as I understand there are feeze plugs behind those mounts. So since the drivers side had popped out apparently this one did also. Must have frozen very hard. However how do you get that one replaced? remove the mount? If so how bad is that job? Better than a cracked block if that is what it is.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Digitized is on a distinguished road

I had to replace that same plug on a 95 GMC Sierra. I jacked the engine up and removed the mount. The easiest way to get a plug back in is to use a copper expanding plug that tightens with a wrench. I used one, and it was still in the block when I got rid of the truck. Good luck!