Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Danp73 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel leak

I have a 98 blazer 4x4. 4.3L. I started smelling gas when i would drive it. I looked around and found that where the fuel lines go into the intake, had gas puddled up around them. I also took the electrical connector, that i assume is for the injectors off and found gas in that cavity as well. Can anyone tell me why gas would be under the electrical plug. I can understand gas being around the fuel line in front of the plug but not how it would get in the plug.

Last edited by Danp73; 12-02-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member
AuburnBlazer is on a distinguished road

the electrical plug sends pulses to the injector to allow gas through when open and not when shut. it is directly connected to the injector so off hand guess would be cracked injector or seal

Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The injectors are sealed into the injector body by O-rings. If one or more of those o-rings is leaking, it will result in a leak. The o-ring kit isn't that expensive, but can be involving to get installed as it requires the removal of the fuel lines from the top of the engine as well as the removal of the upper plenum.

This illustration shows the order of the o-rings/washers/spacers on the fuel supply/return lines:

I'll see if I can find an illustration for the injector o-rings and the PN for the o-ring kit.

*EDIT* - The o-ring kit PN is 17113205 and usually retails for ~$38. It is a universal kit for both v6 and v8 SCFI engines.

And here's a better illustration:

Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Danp73 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the diagrams and the help!! I pulled the injector body out today and have another question. What is the safest way to remove the individual injectors from the injector body? I believe it is one of the O-rings leaking that is shown in the second diagram #12, there was also alot of trash at the bottom of the screen #17. Thanks again for the help

Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend replacing all of the o-rings if you are going to dig into it.

All that needs to be done is to remove the nuts from the retention plate, remove the retention plate, then pull the injector(s) out.