Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

is over cooling bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2Winnebago is on a distinguished road
Default is over cooling bad?

I know this sounds stupid but, I wanted some input other than the local mechanics.

I have a 2000 zr2. This summer I put in a new radiator and stat. I was talked into a heavy duty 2 core radiator. Since I tow at least once a month with my truck, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Since then, I've put on a new EGR, TPS, and intake gaskets (which by the way, take the fan off. I wish I would have done this. It would have been alot easier)

With each successive repair I've watched my temp drop. I went from 205 when I first got the truck to around 180 after the gaskets.

I can only assume that the reason for the temp drop is that the engine is running better and laboring as much as when I started. It was a basket case when I got it. It was listed as a beater with a heater.

This brings me back to the radiator. Did I make a mistake by putting the 2 core radiator?

Thanks for any help. By the way, this is my first post but, I've been on here for months. Alot of good info.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

No you did not make a mistake. My 2002 did the very same thing as did our 1992 454 TBI.

You just need to spend $10 for a new thermostat I expect.

One core or 100 core radiator does not control the operation temps. That is the job of the thermostat. Our new thermostat now sets on 197F per our new Scan Gauge II.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You may see lower milage with a lower engine temp and eventually may get the ol' check engine light. Either you need to get a new 195 degree thermostat or your temp sensor may be faulty. 180 is a bit low but not enough to cause major damage on a catastrophic level.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

You're not likely to run into any major problems running at 180. If you're towing regularly then a two-core radiator is a great idea. You might want to change your thermostat up to a 195. The engine really likes to run in the 190-200 range. 180 can make it run a little bit rich.

I used to drive over Snoqualmie Pass regularly in my 1983 Buick LeSabre. When I replaced the radiator I put in a larger-capacity radiator and the car had much better cooling making the runs over the pass. That car is still running and still has the same radiator.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yup & yup the stat is what controls things. If you want to step it up a notch get a couple electic fans (with a shroud!!!) & hook them up to a relay (40amp) & an engine temp sensor on the NEG side to activate the relay to control the relays.
185 off to 195 on IMO is best. Then your fan won't be running when it's not needed, it's more efficient & sounds a whole lot better especially if you have a CAI.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2Winnebago is on a distinguished road

Just an update. Checked the sending unit and it was bad. Replaced it and now all is well. Doing what it's supposed to. Thanks for all your input!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZR2Winnebago
Just an update. Checked the sending unit and it was bad. Replaced it and now all is well. Doing what it's supposed to. Thanks for all your input!
And thank YOU for checking back in. It makes a difference.