Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
nrowe47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump problem

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer Extreme 4.3L 160,000 mi.I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, the whole fuse box under the hood and the fuel pump relay and cleaned some grounds. But i'm still having the same intermittentproblem.I keep losing power to the fuel pump. I will be driving down the road and it will quit wait a few seconds and it will start right up.I have seen some of the same problems on this web site and some of the answers to fix it is the ignition switch, or oil pressure sending unit, or a whole new fuel pump.I'm just looking for a straight answer. PLEASE HELP. I"M SUPPOSED TO MOVE OUT IN A WEEK. I don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel pump problem

Do you notice the security light at all? That is a sign of ignition switch failure. You can test the other items (FPR and pump) with a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM

First of all thanks for the response i'm new to this. Okay no security light. And fuel pressure is fine when the fuel pump decides to work. When you say (FPR) does that mean fuel pump relay.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, fuel pressure regulator.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Oh gotcha. So if the fuel pressure is good when the fuel pump wants to work does that mean the FPR is okay. If not do you know where the FPRis located and how do i test it.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Test it the same as the fuel pump, via the fuel pressure test port. You can follow the pressure testing diagnostics that are posted in the Tech Article (DIY) section.

FPR is located under the upper intake plenum.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 PM

But would the FPR cause the fuel pumpto not turn on. When i hear the fuel pump go on the truck starts and runs fine. But when i don't hear the fuel pump i have crank with no start.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator

No, it should not. The oil pressure sending unit has no bearing on the newer trucks.

What brand of pump did you install? Have you verified that the pump is not getting power?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 PM

A ACDelco it was like $400 from NAPA. And sometimes the fuel pump gets power and sometimes it doesn't and that's pretty much my problem.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 AM

But what i think your trying to get to is my new fuel pump might be bad that would suck. And therereally isn't any other way to check that other then dropping the tank again. Or is there another way of doing that that i don't know about because that would be great.Do you know if i can exchange that pump? It's only five to six months old.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problem