Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

gear shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
newgem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gear shift linkage

Can anyone help with how to adjust an electronic gear shift linkage????

Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: gear shift linkage

Electronic gear shift linkage??? Is this on the 95 you have listed in your profile?

The shift linkage is adjustable at the transmission.

The Park/Reverse/Neutral safety switch on the transmission is also adjustable.
To adjust the P/R/N switch:
  • Check the switch for proper operation.
  • The engine must be in the P (Park) or N (Neutral) positions only. If adjustment is required, loosen the switch retaining bolts and rotate the switch slightly.
  • Tighten the bolts and check the switch for proper operation.
  • Repeat the switch adjustment procedure until the engine starts when the shift lever is positioned in park and neutral.
  • If improper operation continues refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM

yes its a 95 blazer the linkage box bolts on to the side of the tranny, are you saying to adjust the whole box or just the shift rod (or what ever its called )that comes out ofthe center of the linkage box????

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am not following your terminology... What are you describing when you say "linkage box"? I guess it is possible that there is a cover over the shift linkage, but I have not seen one before...

If you have a shift cable, there should be a bracket that the shift cable mounts into. This bracket will have a plastic piece which the cable passes through. The adjustment of the cable happens at this plastic piece. I have posted the procedure for adjusting this awhile ago, but cannot find it at the moment.

If you have linkage rods there will be a threaded portion of the rod which goes down from the steering column connection to the jack shaft connection.

I cannot remember when they moved to a cable for shifting the transmission.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 AM

ok my repair book is calling it park neutral switch, its located on drivers side,mounted to tranny by 2 bolts. to start off we just put this tranny in, everything is finished, but, the gears are not right, it wont go into park unless you get under vehicle and do it there,and then you can get back in vehicle and put it in another gear without even applying brake??? someone told us it needed adjusted, what im asking is, do we turn just the linkage rod or the whole switch?? and by the way i appologize for my lack of knowledge about vehicle terminology.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I detailed the adjustment of the park/reverse/neutral switch in my post above. This switch does not have anything to do with the actual movement of the shift lever in the transmission though. It only relays the position to the PCM. From the sounds of it, your shift cable is out of adjustment.

CLICK HERE for a little pictorial of how to adjust the shift cable. The F-body has practically the same adjustment method.