Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?

I'm bored today.

I've broken loose and removed, or drilled out all my broken bolts and studs, cleaned my throttle body, IAC bore, and entire lower manifold. Now I'm waiting on the postal carrier (fuel injector upgrade kit and a few other minor bits today) and the Fedex guy (water pump, front cover, heater hoses, bypass hoses, fan clutch today and/or tomorrow).

I was looking at the ugly black plastic bits and thinking, those would look better painted.

Has anyone done this? Did you use engine paint? or some paint specifically for plastic?
Any primer at all? Primer for plastic? Engine primer?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Racer_X
I'm bored today.

I've broken loose and removed, or drilled out all my broken bolts and studs, cleaned my throttle body, IAC bore, and entire lower manifold. Now I'm waiting on the postal carrier (fuel injector upgrade kit and a few other minor bits today) and the Fedex guy (water pump, front cover, heater hoses, bypass hoses, fan clutch today and/or tomorrow).

I was looking at the ugly black plastic bits and thinking, those would look better painted.

Has anyone done this? Did you use engine paint? or some paint specifically for plastic?
Any primer at all? Primer for plastic? Engine primer?
I used satin black engine paint after a quick wipe down with brake cleaner. No primer. Still on there after over a year. Aluminum color engine paint looks good on the pan and the intake as well, and covers up the stains.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?-2a8f5395-1e56-415c-bb2a-14754c5eec21_zpsbk5qonbu.jpg  

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-02-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanks, Les.

I wish I'd done "aluminum" on the plenum piece.

I did the plenum, the intake air piece over the throttle body and the front cover yesterday. I used a traditional Oldsmobile color for my white Olds Bravada. I'll post pics when everything is done and installed.

I used a primer I know bonds well to plastic, followed that with the "engine paint" primer and engine paint color coat, with a engine paint clear coat at the end.

The valve covers are primed, and have white color coat down the lettering. We had a big storm that interrupted me yesterday. I brought the valve covers in and got most of the lettering masked (to keep it white). I'll color coat and clear coat them today, probably after I put the front cover, water pump and other new "front" parts on (new hoses, belt, belt tensioner, etc.).

I might also paint the air filter box top piece. I haven't decided on that yet.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:03 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?-13076880_10208595322377652_2348462012392527512_n.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Alrighty then. Lots of black paint on black plastic. Wow, I was half expecting to see some painted to match the exterior colors, or at least "Chevrolet Orange-Red" or "GM Blue".

If mine wasn't white, I would have come as close as possible to exterior color. Since mine is white, and I don't like trying to keep a white engine clean, I went with something more traditional.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
Is that Rustoleum Hammertone?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:40 PM
BF Veteran

nope, same color as the body

Old 06-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Racer_X
Alrighty then. Lots of black paint on black plastic. Wow, I was half expecting to see some painted to match the exterior colors, or at least "Chevrolet Orange-Red" or "GM Blue".

If mine wasn't white, I would have come as close as possible to exterior color. Since mine is white, and I don't like trying to keep a white engine clean, I went with something more traditional.
Hey, I like satin black and real aluminum parts! I like the contrasts!

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?-58e818d8-53b9-49e4-9712-561c3a9569e8_zpsebri0kpv.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 03:17 PM

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with black. I guess I just expected more variety.

Thundering and spitting rain again here. So I'm back inside.

Here's a pic of my front cover and intake air piece.

Metallic gold. Not quite "Oldsmobile Rocket 350 metallic gold," but close enough to remind me of the first car I ever bought with my own money (a 1973 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the Rocket 350 engine).

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?-0602161605-00.jpg  

Last edited by Racer_X; 06-02-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM
BF Veteran

Looks good!

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever painted Vortec valve covers, plenum or other plastic bits?