Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Have Questions about bravada mod

Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member
bulldog565 is on a distinguished road
Question Have Questions about bravada mod

what I should be looking for in the junkyards. I have a 96 gmc jimmy. I will be doing this next spring as I will be pulling the engine to replace the oil pan gasket and doing other few repairs while I have it out. I would do it now but I don't have a garage to work in and its getting cold out lol.

Also one more question is there any threads showing how to do the mod. I've used the search function and haven't came up with anything.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Your question kinda has me confused..Are you gonna work on a jimmy or bravada?The best thing to do is go to your nearest auto zone, pep boys. o reily`s and buy the Either the (haynes or chilton) repair manual.That way you know you won`t go wrong.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HAHA! Haynes? Chilton? If you want bonfire material! If you want the defacto best, search ebay for the GM manuals (helminc.com). You won't find the factory manuals on Summit though... Just the other junk manuals.

As far as the confusing part, the "Bravada Mod" is swapping out the failure prone passenger side extension tube, shaft, disconnect mechanism from a standard 4wd model Blazer/Jimmy with the solid (non-disconnect-able) passenger side extension shaft & corresponding tube.

To OP, you will need the passenger side extension tube & shaft from a Bravada or AWD Blazer (they exist) that has the same CV shaft attachment method as yours (i.e. splined or bolted) at the inboard side.

This came up in the similar threads table at the bottom:
Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Do you have the 233 (3 button) or 236 (4 button auto4wd) transfer case? If you have the 236, the front driveshaft is already constantly spinning and there will be no difference with the bravada axle. There are mixed reports about it affecting the mileage on a truck with the 233 case. Some say it can make it slightly worse but there are plenty of people who've said they had no negative effects.

As an experiment, you could pull the actuator cable and clamp it in place to keep the front axle engaged and see if there's any noticeable difference that way. It's effectively the same thing as the bravada shaft. In the long run, the clamp is weaker than doing the actual mod because you'd still have the two piece axle/collar assembly. I plan on doing it when I replace my CV shafts

Here's a good link Cons of the bravada shaft and tube? - Zr2USA.com

Attached Thumbnails Have Questions about bravada mod-bravadaaxlestuff.jpg  
Old 11-21-2015, 12:57 AM
Beginning Member
bulldog565 is on a distinguished road

yea thanks for that post it really helped. I have the factory manuals plus the haynes. I just didnt understand the mod. btw can you use the ones in awd vans also.
yea im working on my $400 96 gmc jimmy. I will be working on it next year ripping into the motor and fixing the tranny pan leak right someone used a **** ton of rtv on it. I will be making a thread on it with pictures of what I do to it.

Last edited by bulldog565; 11-21-2015 at 01:14 AM.