Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hello! Has anyone ever done this before? Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 AM
swampstomper is on a distinguished road
Default Hello! Has anyone ever done this before? Any advice?

Hi!
I'm swapping a 94 Vin Z engine and replacing with a 94 Vin W engine into a C1500.
The Vin W came out of a 94 Safari.
Everything is bolted up and fits fine in the truck.
We knew from the outset that the wiring and computer were not compatible between the two engines but figured that they could be swapped.
So now I've been attempting to adapt the original C1500 wiring harness to fit the Vin W engine.
I've been working with two donor wiring harnesses, one from a 93 Blazer and one from a 94 Jimmy along with the original C1500 Harness.
The Blazer and Jimmy harnesses are shorter in length than the C1500 so I'm splicing wires to make them longer.
I also have the PCM computers from the Blazer and Jimmy.
Has anyone ever done this before?
Any advice or help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've located wiring diagrams from several locations and have the service manual for a 93 Jimmy with it's wiring diagrams.
Apparently consistent wiring diagrams for these engines are hard to find, each one varies slightly when comparing them.
It required many Google searches just to find a pinout for the C100 bulkhead connector, THANK YOU RetroBlazer!!!!
The pinouts for the PCM's also seem to vary as much as the wiring diagrams.
I've attempted to leave as much of the C1500 harness intact as possible, but now I'm thinking that I should break it all down by systems and build the harness that way.
I also know that I've got to rewire the fuse block and much of the I/P and dash wiring.
Not rushing but would like to achieve something for all the hard work so far.
Thanks for any help!
swampstomper

Old 04-10-2016, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am not sure what all needs to be done, or if it has been done. But one thing I do know is you will have to change the fuel pump. The Vin W engine requires a higher fuel pressure if I am not mistaken.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:45 PM
swampstomper is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the response! The fuel pump is in the plans. We're trying to get there.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:50 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Yes I have kinnda done what you are trying to accomplish { my toy in my avatar - 4X4 RX7 }

Do enevy you NO its a royal PIA - I transfered the total wiring harness from the 92 jimmy into the RX7 body. Over 300 solder and shrink wrapped joints shorting and adding length to engine and lighting wires ECT. and over 200 in body under dash and such.

then the joys of weeding out the stuff that's not needed in the new application and finding power for the extra stuff that was already there. Such as heating controls, wipers and light sockets ECT. So more or less I made my own harness with the old as a guide

Maybe a GM shop manual for each vehicle would give you a accurate wiring diagram but at the cost of them even used would prob out weigh the gains.

One night I fought the heating controls, No matter what I did they wouldn't work as they should { the RX is all elect. no vac. } went in for the night, next day went out with a cup of coffee looked down and said to ol self [ well you dumb a## ] swapped one wire on a relay and all was working as it should. Remember when things go ta sh## step back and take a breath it will all work out as it should

Label as needed and a test light and OHM meter can and will become your best friend - LOL

Oh ya I forgot to add - watch while you are researching for wiring diagrams - I was on the net and opened a PDF file that was to be a total diagram and along with the diagram it installed and unleashed a cascading virus that my virus scanner couldn't stop and it ate my puter one main file at a time - reinstall file and it would eat it again along with others leading me to a total strip down and reboot from scratch - Gotta love it - As my dad usta say there is a total A hole born every day

Last edited by odat; 04-10-2016 at 07:27 PM.