Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

High rpm for tranny to move

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 PM
GPeyMtonC is on a distinguished road
Default High rpm for tranny to move

New here. So I just but a 1989 gmc v1500 Jimmy full size basically a k5 blazer. Finally got it running and and now it don't move when I put it in any gears unless I give it a lot of gas and the when it does go it'll go good for only like 150 ft and that's it then I have to give it a lot of gas again any ideas on what the issue is?? Thanks for the help

Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GPeyMtonC
New here. So I just but a 1989 gmc v1500 Jimmy full size basically a k5 blazer. Finally got it running and and now it don't move when I put it in any gears unless I give it a lot of gas and the when it does go it'll go good for only like 150 ft and that's it then I have to give it a lot of gas again any ideas on what the issue is?? Thanks for the help
Transmission is certainly toast. If it wasn't before, it is now. Check fluid level and for burnt smell/discoloration of the oil on the dipstick.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the reply when I got it there was no fluid and it was missing two bolts where the tranny and t case hook up so it was leaking like I was pouring it on the ground so fixed that. Now after testing it it did all the other stuff in the previous post. But I didn't smell anything burnt and fluid was red but I just put it in there some of the old fluid I think had a tint to it. I thought it was the torque con. But you think it's a rebuild?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the reply when I got it there was no fluid and it was missing two bolts where the tranny and t case hook up so it was leaking like I was pouring it on the ground so fixed that. Now after testing it it did all the other stuff in the previous post. But I didn't smell anything burnt and fluid was red but I just put it in there some of the old fluid I think had a tint to it. I thought it was the torque con. But you think it's a rebuild?
Any auto tranny that is full of fluid and will barely move the vehicle due to slippage has serious problems. Probably you have discovered why the PO got rid of the vehicle.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-15-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 AM

Yea I prob did cause I had to tow it home cause it didn't run

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Well, at least you knew it needed work when you bought it, right? If it's not a rust bucket It's probably worth fixing if you like it.

Probably plenty of good used transmissions out there for not so much, but they are always a gamble. Rebuilts are pretty expensive.

Someone else could tell you better than I exactly which ones would work in your big Jimmy. I believe yours would be a 700R4, but I'm thinking you may need one for 4WD. Exactly what years and application they could come out of I'm not sure. I do know my son got a used 700R4 for his 1989 pickup for $150 from a private seller off Craigs List and was pretty happy with it. I remember he said he had to transfer his TV cable from his old tranny to work with his engine, so don't screw up the old one or lose it. I do know that TV cable adjustment is critical on the 700R4. Don't leave it unhooked or misadjusted. Could even be what took out your current trans.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-15-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Ok I'll be sure to note that a I did find a tranny for 100 but it's been sitting for two years but it's been inside and it has had oil in it the whole time so it should be ok

Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 PM

Ok I'll be sure to note that a I did find a tranny for 100 but it's been sitting for two years but it's been inside and it has had oil in it the whole time so it should be ok
Can't beat $100. That's dirt cheap. Could be just fine. Sounds like a private owner - What's the history on it, and what is it out of?

Bottom line, one never knows what a used one will do. For $100 you could certainly chance it. You may want to pull the pan for inspection/service before buying or before installing and possibly wasting multiple quarts of expensive fluid. Shouldn't have a lot of small metal stuff & chunks laying in the bottom of the pan and nice red fluid is a good sign. Burnt smelly brown fluid is bad sign. You may want to take measurements of your trans front to rear and plenty of photos to make sure it matches up before buying.
Good luck and best wishes.

p.s. remember you will definitely need a 700R4 from a 4WD - preferably from behind a v-8 4WD full size pickup, Full size blazer, full size jimmy or Surburban..

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-15-2015 at 01:32 PM.