Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hot Hot Hot!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Mandrwj is on a distinguished road
Default Hot Hot Hot!

Hey all!
Ok, Im having a problem. Ive got a 2001 LS 4WD. A few years ago I had a disasterous overheating problem. It resulted in, new head gaskets (no warping), new water pump, thermostat, radiator, and a thurough cleaning of the cylinders and valves. That was a bout two years ago. Well, now my issue is that the temperature creaps well above the 210 mark when I stop. High enough to make me really nervous. However, once I get to driving for a minute or two, it seems the airflow cools it back down. It got so hot yesterday it almost maxed out, and my engine light came onuntil it cooled back down. What gives? I checked all the regular vitals...the overflow resevour has plenty of coolant, and the coolant in radiator is there, but waaay in the bottom. Is that normal? Any opinions would be great, its about 95 out today, that doesnt help matters at all!! haha...thanks for your help everbody.

On a second note,
I took the the blazer to GA a few weeks ago, and mand did she have trouble. any hint of a hill, the RPMs shot from about 2k to about 3!! like it pulled out of overdrive and wouldnt go back in. I recently hadthe entire transmission rebuilt about 3 months ago, so I would assume this had better not be a transmission problem!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the radiator for leaks? It sounds to me like you might have a bad clog and in need of a really good radiator flush. The radiator should be full of fluid.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Mandrwj is on a distinguished road

I havent noticed any leaks....but my plan for today is a coolant flush. Im Hoping its a simple as that. When I had the problem before the mechanic plamed it on the DexCool that it had in it. He said it turned to "sand" and clogged it all up. He promised me they got it all out, but my radiator cap look like crap...it brown and muddy. But the cooland in the overflow is nice and green

Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, if I were in your shoes I would probably flush it twice just to make sure this doesn't happen again. What brand coolant do you use? I've always used Prestone prediluted coolant and never had any problems.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never ever.... ever ever ever ever, mix the red stuff with the green stuff, it will turn to sludge and leave you with problems up the wazoo. I would flush it again, make sure you use the recommended coolant that is on the sticker under the hood (or owners manuel). Next pressure test your radiator cap and radiator. There is a special hand pump tool that does this, if they check out and after you do a coolant flush, if it still overheats try something called Purple Ice, I think royal purple makes it not sure. Also as a side note, and I know this will sound dumb, but did you install the thermostat the right way? I have put mine upside down before and yes I felt like an idiot.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides the 2x flush, I'd look at the fan clutch. When the motor's cold, try spinning the fan. If it free-wheels, the clutch is bad. If it's hard to start then spins a little, it's right. If it won't spin at all, it's bad.