Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine rebuilbing help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 AM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine rebuilbing help

So my 98 started knocking about a week and a half ago. Pulled the valve covers off and checked the rockers and head bolts to see if anything was loose, nothing was. So, I found out that its the loudest in the power end around the oil pan area. I'm in the process of pulling my engine and rebuilding it. My engine guy is telling me it's going to cost more to rebuild my V-6 than it would a V-8. My question is I've got about a grand to spend on it and my engine guy said he can do a custom machine job on the cam. Is it worth it since its already going to be out of the engine? What else should I do while the engine is apart?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Engine rebuilbing help

I would want him to explain why it would be more to rebuild your 4.3 than it would for a V8 since so many parts are the same as in a Chevy 350. As for the cam, what are you looking for out of a custom job and would his mods require changing the lifters, springs, etc to stouter components? If you want the engine returned to stock form, the rebuild parts and procedures are pretty routine.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM

The reason the cost was going to be higher was cause I wanted to keep the stock V6 look but I wanted him to bore out the block 30 over with 30 over pistons, custom cam, change the valves, springs and everything. He hasn't given me an exact cost yet but did say it was going to be a lot. I can probably come up with $1,500 but I don't think that's enough. So, I was thinking about a mild custom cam job and cleaning up the heads maybe port and polishing the heads just so I can get a little more HP out of them. Then maybe adjusting the timing or putting an ignition system on it after the rebuild. I also am going to get some headers for it to knock a little weight off and have a little better flow out of my exhaust.

If I were to try to put a 350 in there about how much it would cost?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple of articales you might want to read.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar39840.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...l_block_v6.htm

Search the web, rebuilding the 4.3 is the pretty much the same as rebuilding the V8. Only its missing two pistons. Check out summit for parts, there are cam kits that include everything you need. Someone else did allt he leg work, you just need to pbuy it and install it.

What does get pricey is the roller cam set up GM used from '93 on. It might be more money in parts, however it produces more power becuase of the rollers.

The mods on the 4.3 are the same as for the V8.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 AM

At summit racing they don't really offer anything as far as cam kits go for the 98 only the 97 4.3L 262. If I get the kit for the 97, will it fit? What duration and lift are the stock specs and what should I go with as far as new stuff?