Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

How many freeze-plugs in my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 PM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How many freeze-plugs in my engine?

Hi all,

It's finally time for me to replace the corroded freeze-plugs in my engine. However... I want to make sure I do it right, and replace as many as I possibly can myself - with the engine in place.

'95 S10 Blazer, 2WD, 4-Door, 4.3L V6

The two I can see are one on the drivers' side bottom of the engine.. and one on the passenger side - almost opposite the drivers' side one... but up under the starter motor. These both have rust around the edges, and a nasty green anti-freeze ooze on the bottom edges.

I've read that their may be one under the bell housing ( will pulling the tranny give me access to this? or is it an engine pull?) Are there orthers?

Thanks,
Rex S.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Default RE: How many freeze-plugs in my engine?

Here's pics of the drivers side and passenger side freeze plugs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1011/35C61D07C4724DBFB7B2BEC28677CB5A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1011/3E1776FB55AB403991DED2AB46909A9F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are two on each side (the ones you see, and then one behind each motor mount) and then there is atleast one on the back of the engine. There are two large plugs in the back, but I believe the upper one is just an oil seal for the balance shaft bore.

Here's a view of the back of the engine:

And here's a view of the driver's side of the block:

Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Thanks Kyle,

The pictures are priceless in helping to locate the plugs.

Ya know... I just had the tranny replaced (with a rebuilt) last month to the tune of $1700... I know it's probably futile.. but I wonder if they'd remember or have marked/documented if they noticed a corroded/leaking freeze plug... I suppose a quick phone call tomorrow may answer that question.

As for the ones behind the engine mounts... Arrgh. I'll get up in there with a mirror tomorrow to check their condition. Maybe... just maybe I'll be able to see them.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM

With a flashlight, I was able to glimpse the drivers side freeze plug behind the engine mount. It looks okay... (whew!) The passenger side.. well, too much stuff in the way to even THINK about seeing it. However, a good sign, is that I see NO dripping corrosion below where the front passenger side plug should be.. like I see on the rear ones.

Thanks again,
Rex S.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that teh two in the rear are freeze plugs. I believe the top one is for the balance shaft, and the bottom one is for the cam.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's why I didn't specify them as freeze plugs. I am certain that the top one is for the balance shaft and pretty sure that the lower one is for the cam. I don't think there is any coolant running through the back of the block.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
ride4square is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I have a question about the freeze plugs in my Chevy Blazer 95' I recently bought a blazer for 1000$ and The problem with it was the freeze plugs were leaking really bad so i have to reaplace two of them. I took it to are local shop, and there charging me 6-700$ to fix the problem!! They said they will need to remove my transmission to get to them. Is there any way around this?? I really cant afford another fix. Any hints? Please help. asap.

I quess is there any way to replace the freeze plugs with out removing the Transmission? Can i some how do it with out ripping everything out? Please help.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
ride4square is an unknown quantity at this point

Also the Year is '95 S10 Blazer, 2WD, 4-Door, 4.3L V6

Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Please do not double post your problem in other threads. Since you already have a thread pertaining to your problem, please have some patience.

Those wishing to reply, please do so in the initial thread - 95 Blazer 4.3 Freeze Plugs