Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

i get a "thunk" or "pop"

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
pmzusmc is on a distinguished road
Default i get a "thunk" or "pop"

Hey guys,
I have a 2000 trailblazer with 4 wheel drive auto. I have other posts out there about my highway vibrations, but this is about a possible tranny problem. I did have my tranny checked out, but I've been noticing that when my truck is down shifting, just before I stop, I get a thunk or pop noise, and I can feel it under my feet, more towards the psgr side. Any ideas. I'm convinced this truck is gonna send me to the poor house
Also , don't know if this matters, I was reading a post about 4wd, when I'm in 2hi, I cannot turn my front drive shaft freely big hand, it seems locked. Is that right?

Last edited by pmzusmc; 04-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Ok, today I was in my truck and I figured I'd see if I get it in 4wd. So I push my 4 auto button, and I noticed that I didn't get that click from under my dash, or psgr kick plate. Then I tried 4hi, and no click again. But when I went back to 2hi, I got the click. After that I didn't really seem to get that POP on the down shift. Hmmm . Now is it possible that I'm actually having a 4wd problem in my differential? The buttons were showing 2hi when I keyed in, but it didn't seem like the truck performed any type of actions when I switched to 4. Does this make any sense

Old 04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did the desired light illuminate when you selected Auto4, 4hi, etc? If so, it shifted properly and there is nothing to worry about.

As I have stated in a LOT of threads concerning the front drive shaft with the NV236 transfer case, it will always spin. If you want to find out why, type "NV236+preload" into the search bar.

As far as your thunk/pop... Could just be drivetrain slop that you are hearing. Maybe nothing to worry about. Could be a motor mount that is starting to go... I say turn up the music enjoy your truck.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Funny, the music thing seems to be working

Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes odd noises can drive you nuts and cause you to dump money needlessly in an attempt to "fix" what might not really be a problem.