Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I just inherited my Parents old 87 k5 need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Starting Member
Soccman is on a distinguished road
Default I just inherited my Parents old 87 k5 need some advice

I inherited my fathers 87 Silverado. My mom passed away back in 98 and he drove it for a little over a year and just parked it due to some electrical issue he was having. It has a Remanufactured engine with around 75000 miles on it. Paint was only a couple of years old and still in pretty good shape. I've begged him for almost 15 years to sell it to me and he just wouldn't let it go. This thing is bone stock like the day it rolled out of the showroom when he bought it from the dealer except for a set of aluminum bullet hole wheels.

I want a run down of some of the basic upgrades to the engine and trans. Would like to have around 300-350hp but not be a complete gas hog. I have around 4k to spend to get this thing cleaned up and running. I would like to tow a small camper with it and a flatbed trailer with some atvs on it every now and then too.

I've built a lot of ford modular stuff over the years and really havn't gotten into some of this (now classic) chevy TBI vehicals so I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage when it comes to wrenching on it. Here is what I'm looking into...

cam:
intake: duel plane/single plane
headers: Needs a full exhaust anyway might as well upgrade
Heads: I have no idea what heads I have. I think they are stock for 87 but its a reman so no so sure.
TBI upgrade: maybe a Holly/FAST efi system or I hear 95 chevy tbi systems fits and is a decent upgrade in fuel mileage and small gains with a port and retune?
Trans basic upgrades: Torque converter, shift kit?
E Fans
Mild suspension lift and spacer for rear wheels to match fronts?

I also need a lead on somewhere I can get window seals, weather strips, and pretty much every seal on this truck has to be replaced because its sat for so long and hasn't moved.

I need a window for the top also the pass side window is shattered but the window tint is holding it together for now.

I have a lot of history with this as a kid and never want to part with this truck and planning to sell my 02 jeep liberty limited 4x4 and make this K5 my DD.
Any help and info will be awesome! Thanks everyone.

Mark