Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ignition timing off help please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 AM
chevcamls1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ignition timing off help please!!!!!

hey guys my 96 blazer kind of lost a lot of power a while ago i scan the ecu and it says that timing is off by -22 degrees i checked the distributor to be align like it should be and is perfect, rotor aligns good with piston 1 at tdc i checked and double checked for a bad distributor gear and its finei also smell a lot of gas when engine is running but there's no leak anywhere i replaced the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor but still running the same anybody has an idea of what might be wrong

Old 12-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ignition timing off help please!!!!!

How did you determine that it was -22 degrees? This sounds WAY far off... My scans from my old '00 Bravada show ignition advance any where from +20* to +33* at idle. There were only a few times when I was decellerating that it would read negative...

Old 12-29-2007, 05:01 PM

i took it to my friends shop he's got a obd2 scanner and it thats what the reading was but i think its got to do with a sensor or maybe the ecu but like i said i changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and nothing changes it runs the same my idle is perfect but like when i drive, its got no power not like its suppossed to

Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have your friend take a look at the knock sensor values (knock retard, knock sensor active count, etc) and see if it is being caused by a bad knock sensor or not...

Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 PM

do u know what a good reading will be??? cause he owns a body shop he doesnt know much about it

Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

It should most definitely be positive. At idle, it should be around 20-30 degrees advanced (before TDC).

Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM

thats the timing reading right?? how about the knock sensor reading?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

KR should ideally be zero. So should the knock sensor active count. If you see this rising continuously, it is an indication that there is a problem with the Knock sensor. Especially if there is no predetonation causing it.

You could try, temporarily, driving with the knock sensor disconnected.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 PM

i will try that thanks for the info i'll reply if anything

Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point

are you getting P1345 code at all? if so try what i did and just buy new or reman disty from Autozone , and it comes with a new cam sensor already in it so all you gotta do is put your rotor on it and drop in (aligned ofcourse) and put cap back on and wires and fire her up ... worked for me (my disty was twisted off by 3-4 mm's and once i replaced it all was GOOD! lol

btw mine had a nice idle but sputtered like hell on light take off, but if i mashed it to the floor it was fine till i wanted to cruise at a steady speed then the sputtering would come back..

sound familar???

Quick Reply: ignition timing off help please!!!!!