Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Intake gasket leaking

Old 01-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Katman96 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake gasket leaking

Hello. New member here.
I bought my blazer yesterday and sure enough, the intake started leaking today. Looks to be quite common and not to bad to repair. My question is, at 165k miles, would it be worth it to do the head gaskets while I'm into it? Seems to me that with the top off, more than half the work would already be done and it would be the time to do them. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I suggest leaving them alone. Head gaskets are not a known problem area on these engines. If you take them off, best to have them gone through.

ps. intake is not 1/2 way to head gaskets IMHO. Also, if yours is a second generation Blazer:

• There are definite problems getting at ground straps and fuel line clamp on rear of heads with engine in place. Doesn't sound like much but it's a serious problem. Best to unbolt head and move forward for access to remove ground straps and clamps on rear of heads.
  • Exhaust manifolds need to come off in order to get at the short head bolts. Tube for EGR needs to come off in order to get driver's manifold off. Make sure you can turn the nut at the exhaust manifold before committing.
  • Torqueing head bolts correctly with engine in place using an angle gauge (or even a torque wrench) can be very problematic.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 AM
Katman96 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I finished up the intake yesterday. Once I looked at it a little closer I decided not to touch the heads. Went back to the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Intake was a pretty easy job. Heads wouldn't have been. And like you said, I'm not pulling them off and not having them gone through.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Katman96
Thanks for the reply. I finished up the intake yesterday. Once I looked at it a little closer I decided not to touch the heads. Went back to the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Intake was a pretty easy job. Heads wouldn't have been. And like you said, I'm not pulling them off and not having them gone through.
Yeah, they're too much work to do them without a good reason! Glad things worked out for you.