Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Interchangeable Transmissions (among 4l60E)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 PM
ICEMAN616 is on a distinguished road
Question Interchangeable Transmissions (among 4l60E)

Hey all, I was just wondering what years of second-gen blazer transmissions can be interchangeable. For example, will a 97 4x4 blazer bolt right up to a 99 4x4 blazer? Thanks

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

They will bolt up but the computer portion of them won't work. I believe I have read that they can be made to interchange but I wouldn't know where to start or if I'm even correct on that one. I think the 92-mid95 are the same then late 95-97 and then 98 up are the ones that are compatible within their time frames (I might be a little off on those years so don't hold me to it please). The easiest way to identify the year of the trans is to look for the trans number at the back of the trans right behind the pan before the tailshaft or on the back passenger side of the trans right above the pan. You will see a set of numbers and the first number(s) in the set are the model year of the trans. The next two would be letters and they identify the trans model.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
They will bolt up but the computer portion of them won't work. I believe I have read that they can be made to interchange but I wouldn't know where to start or if I'm even correct on that one. I think the 92-mid95 are the same then late 95-97 and then 98 up are the ones that are compatible within their time frames (I might be a little off on those years so don't hold me to it please). The easiest way to identify the year of the trans is to look for the trans number at the back of the trans right behind the pan before the tailshaft or on the back passenger side of the trans right above the pan. You will see a set of numbers and the first number(s) in the set are the model year of the trans. The next two would be letters and they identify the trans model.
Thanks for responding! The reason I'm asking is because I have a 97 transmission that I would like to rebuild and put in a 99 (both 4x4). The 97 transmission is still in the truck so before I drop it I'll see if it has the newer two piece bell housing and if the electrical connectors are the same. If both year model transmissions match up (bell housings and electrical) do you still think the computer situation might be an issue?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

The 97 4l60e wont interchange although it will bolt up.The electronics in the 99 was way different with many other ad ons to the system.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Man I must have just got lucky. Bought a used one on craigslist and dont know what year it is and it works fine

Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
The 97 4l60e wont interchange although it will bolt up.The electronics in the 99 was way different with many other ad ons to the system.
If I remember correctly, sometime between 96 and 97 GM updated the transmissions with the next major updates being sometime after 2000 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). I might have my dates mixed up but if it is a late year 97 will it still have the major differences the 99's have? Thanks

Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ICEMAN616
If I remember correctly, sometime between 96 and 97 GM updated the transmissions with the next major updates being sometime after 2000 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). I might have my dates mixed up but if it is a late year 97 will it still have the major differences the 99's have? Thanks
The late 97`s will work with 98 swap but they made changes in 98 and 99.I beleive the 98`s and later were tagged a different # being called 4L65e.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 12-30-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

The late 97`s will work with 98 swap but they made changes in 98 and 99.I beleive the 98`s and later were tagged a different # being called 4L65e.

Not mine or the one I pit in

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Are the changes you are referring to just updates (valve body updates and such) or changes that would render those years incompatible? thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ICEMAN616
Are the changes you are referring to just updates (valve body updates and such) or changes that would render those years incompatible? thanks
Yes the changes were with electronics inside the transmissions also so they wont work with your current computer

Quick Reply: Interchangeable Transmissions (among 4l60E)