Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I've had transmission problems recently and i need help/advice asap!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 AM
Starting Member
Kyle Ewert is on a distinguished road
Default I've had transmission problems recently and i need help/advice asap!!

Well currently I have a 2002 blazer with 132k miles on it. It's kind of a piece of **** but it was getting me back and forth from work everyday which I absolutely need it to and right now I can't drive it out of town. Since the start of winter the tranny has been slipping a bit which I figured was from the cold and it being older. It drove like normal this past Monday night when I drove home from work in bd. Tuesday morning I had an appointment in Juneau and as soon as I drove past spirits where it turned 40mph I tried accelerating and as soon as I got to 30/35 it stopped acceleration and revved up to like 5000 rpm. I slowed down to 20 and was able to turn around and drive it home. On my way back I tried going over 30 and it did the same thing each time. First thing I checked was the tranny fluid. It was a little darker than the red it should be but there was some in there and I added another half quart to see if that would fix the problem. Nope so the next day I was able to drive it to oreilys and have them hook it up to their check engine light tester. It gave me these 2 codes: p0121 throttle/pedal position sensor a circuit range/performance and p1870 tranny component slipping/tranny mechanical transfer case 4x4 switch circuit failure. I legit have been up all night researching potential problems. The second code said to make sure any other codes are taken care of first because that might be causing it to slip which it was really bad. Like it wouldn't shift gears once I reached 30mph. So almost all of the research I did on the first code pointed to the throttle pedal sensor being bad. Which I'm hoping is the problem with it as I can go buy one for $32 and have my roommate help put it on. I wanted to get a second opinion before I would waste money and time putting a new tps in if that isn't even the problem. In your best educated opinion do you think is wrong with it and what I should do or have it get fixed so I can drive it normally again? Preferably being able to get it taken care of by the end of the day if at all possible.

Update: I just found out its leaking tranny fluid up by the radiator. I'm not sure how long it's been leaking for either. I'm hoping the reason why it's leaking is from the tranny fluid line being rusted out and has a leak or just from a seal.

I'm hoping that the tranny didn't take a **** and die and that my problems are from a way smaller and minor fix. My limit would be at the most sticking $500 again into this pos and I really don't want to **** anymore money away on it, but I need a car asap for work. I already know the 2 error codes, p0121 and p1870, so if I take it to the dealership I don't want to get charged for them to diagnose my car. I just want to know if the tranny is still drivable or not and if it is, an estimated price on getting it fixed and on the road again.

This is my first time posting in these forums and I'm not very mechanically inclined at all when it comes to vehicles irl. So any help, insight, or educated guesses as to what may be wrong with my blazer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to anyone in advance that takes the time to help me out.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

put it maually into 2nd if it stays in gear and doesnt slip it could be for the worst. almost sound like the 3-4 clutch pack is shot which would mean a rebuild. Good luck. This happened to me and it sounds like the same thing

Old 02-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Got some bad news for you. Sorry the transmission is done for. Don't waste money on the TPS as that is just a piggyback code from transmission slipping. If it was run low on fluid for any amount of time the 3-4 clutch pack will be the fist to be damaged. What you are describing is the classic symptoms for 3-4 clutch pack failure. I know for what you want to spend a rebuild is out. Maybe you can find a used one but you will still have labor to install plus fluids and repairing cooler line leak. Doubt you are going to get any thing done for $500 to get you blazer back on the road. �� Good luck.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Starting Member
Kyle Ewert is on a distinguished road

It wasn't low on tranny fluid. I realized it was leaking after I let it sit for a week with these problems. I kind of figured the tranny was done for good unfortunately.