Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

just finished tbi to carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member
RnB1987 is on a distinguished road
Default just finished tbi to carb swap

Hello , I just finished swapping from tbi ,to a carb. Truck fires up and runs sounds fine. Took for a test drive ,acceleration Sucks almost almost like there's no torch, kinda sounds like the gear on distributor Is a little off when u hit gas while driving ( I remember it doing that before and fixed it with the timing). I took air breather off and found a almost like chocolate milk looking liquid that came from the valve cover hose on driver side that goes in to the original air filter holder .
So anyone have a idea what that could be? It didn't do it till after I took test drive .I almost wonder if it's antifreeze from when I swapped intake or worse.
Sec question if timing is off a little would it cause the sluggish acceleration?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The chocolate milk substance in the air cleaner is caused by insufficient PCV flow. Causes are: Insufficient vacuum to the PCV valve, inoperative PCV valve, sludged up overheads clogging up the oil returns, restricted PCV inlet hose, or a clogged PCV filter. PCV flow brings in filtered air in the air cleaner, travels through a hose to one of the rocker arm covers. Runs down through the oil return holes, through the crankcase, up through the opposite bank oil returns, through the PCV valve, routed to the intake manifold, and burned. The chocolate milk shake is actually blowby gasses and vaporized oil that enter the air cleaner through the PCV inlet line/filter, and condense in the air cleaner. If the PCV system is inoperative, or can't keep up with blowby, the gasses go the wrong way and empty in the air cleaner.

No mention of year on this thing, but the EST wire needs to be disconnected while adjusting timing. If timing is off, performance and fuel mileage will suffer.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-08-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
RnB1987 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The chocolate milk substance in the air cleaner is caused by insufficient PCV flow. Causes are: Insufficient vacuum to the PCV valve, inoperative PCV valve, sludged up overheads clogging up the oil returns, restricted PCV inlet hose, or a clogged PCV filter. PCV flow brings in filtered air in the air cleaner, travels through a hose to one of the rocker arm covers. Runs down through the oil return holes, through the crankcase, up through the opposite bank oil returns, through the PCV valve, routed to the intake manifold, and burned. The chocolate milk shake is actually blowby gasses and vaporized oil that enter the air cleaner through the PCV inlet line/filter, and condense in the air cleaner. If the PCV system is inoperative, or can't keep up with blowby, the gasses go the wrong way and empty in the air cleaner.

No mention of year on this thing, but the EST wire needs to be disconnected while adjusting timing. If timing is off, performance and fuel mileage will suffer.
Sorry I ment to put the year and all,
1987 k5 ,305 engine , th700r4 Transmission, transfer case is a 208.
I believe I got the timing on point , just the slug to fix now.

Thank you, captain

Last edited by RnB1987; 09-03-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Check the valve first, make sure it works, and has vacuum to it. If the overheads are sludged up, it makes a HUGE mess cleaning them out. Might want to consider throwing a plastic tarp on the floor before you start.