Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 4WD LS. 1-2 Hard shift. sluggish off start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Chris McLeod is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4WD LS. 1-2 Hard shift. sluggish off start

To be clear I'm loving my very straight Blazer and coming from an Integra of 9 years(yea I miss the gas mileage lol) it's a whole other world.

I've read a lot of threads but they all differ from my problem. I know the hard shift can be a "thing" but I'm trying to keep this thing tight and catch any problems early. It's got 180k on it.

It hard shifts quite a bit , and seems to get slightly better as it warms up, though I might just be convincing myself of that. The other gears are fine, it IS NOT throwing any codes. If I accelerate very slowly it's even rougher then just getting into it which usually isn't my style.

I've read of solenoids (no code though?) and the valve body. Any ideas or should I just have it looked at? What could they really tell? I don't have a trusted mechanic right now so I'm trying to not be taken (some *** tried to sell me a 4 wheel alignment)

Also, and again, I'm coming from a 5 speed/4 banger so it's way different. it seems that 1st gear is sluggish, almost like I'm being pulled back or I have a boat hooked on. A lot of guys says that's your get going gear and is normal, but they talk out their asses a lot. No brakes or anything are sticking, maybe it's just how the tranny is geared and I'm just gritting my teeth waiting for that hard shift.

I have more things I'm tinkering with like loose steering and wobbles but that's for another time. I'm a total noob and have had passenger cars my whole life so I REALLY appreciate your guys help.

I'm stoked though, she's a beauty

Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Beginning Member
Markolc is on a distinguished road

The first gear in the 4L60e tranny is very high, that's why you experience what you do. I have a 2000 LS blazer and it feels exactly the same. I also have a super hard 1-2 shift, but that's because I put in a shift kit to fix a tranny problem (p1870 check engine light) where the torque converter wouldn't stay eengaged. I fixed it with this kit. It's possible your tranny has this kit installed too. My original tranny has 181k on it and still going strong, I believe because of this shift kit and some routine maintenance.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:11 PM

Thanks for your response! I didn't know if it should be checked or not. When it comes to trannies I'm not even touching that.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

As the engine and tranny warm, the 1-2 shift should be less jarring.

You could also have some issues with your tranny causing the hard 1-2 shift of you don't have a shift kit installed. However I'm far from qualified to help you diagnose any potential problems with transmissions.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Ok thanks. I'm not sure how a mechanic will "look at it". I guess they could open it up but that might lead to more trouble then it's worth with these gm trannies? I guess they should know that.

I am unfamiliar with "shift kits" How do you install this?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Beginning Member