Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

losing transmission fluid with no visible leak?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
bowtied is on a distinguished road
Default losing transmission fluid with no visible leak?

i have a 95 blazer 4l60e transmission and it is losing every drop of tranny fluid i put in it. no visible leaks underneath but its blowing out a massive amount of white smoke out the tailpipe... is there a seal of valve that may be causing this? the truck sat a couple months due 2 bad fuelpump but now after a new pump i get this problem.. any help would really be great thank you..

Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Check a few things for me. The vacuum switch on the transfercase can go bad,and suck all the fluid into the vacumm lines into the engine,which gets burned off. Check that switch and it should be it..

Also,open your hood and find that big round toilet bowl ball with the vacuum line hooked to it. unplug it and see if theres fluid in it.,unplug random lines and look.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It takes a combination of a bad seal in the switch along with a bad input seal in the front of the transfer case for the fluid to push from the transmission into the transfer case, then into the vacuum system & engine, but it definitely is possible!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Have you pulled the radiator cap to see if there is oil in the coolant? I find it hard to believe that enough oil could get through the transfer case seal fast enough to have the level drop quickly. Especially since there is no pressure on the transmission side.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 AM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

Check the level in the transfer case. If it is over filled and gushes out I would agree with swartllk. Two seals are bad but unlikely.

Check the coolant for transmission contamination as TZBird recommends. If contaminated that would indicate an internal wall rupture in the radiator which keeps the two fluids seperate. However, I would think this should mean your tranny would be over filled and contaminated with coolant.

The NP 233 does not have an internal tranny cooler like the NP 242. I have seen those rupture and cause the tranny fluid to fill the transfer and drain the transmission.

Have you installed a differential cooler that uses the tranny fluid to cool the diff? the same principle as above could apply.

Last edited by wrenchturner3529; 05-20-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Starting Member
myfastski is on a distinguished road

I have a 96 Blazer that smokes only when in 4 wheel drive low. I searched this forum hoping to find information about a vacuum switch on the transfer case. Thanks for a great forum.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Starting Member
raswift is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Losing Trans Fluid with No evidence of leak

I too have a leak that I can't find. I have a 99 2 WD Blazer that will somehow suck up about 1 quart of fluid. When this happens it starts to studder in overdrive at about 55 mph. I've noticed that when I refill it to the proper level, the studder is not there anymore, but I do see some white or blue smoke occasionally coming from the back of the car. I've looked and I can't seem to find any vacuum lines that go to this transmission. In the Fords I've seen the kickdown valves develop a hole in the diaphram and suck the fluid into the intake manifold. Does this trans have something like that that would cause this problem?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Starting Member
rob10aol is on a distinguished road

i to have a 1998 blazer that is really going through the trans fluid and is smokeing but is not losing the oil level can some one tell me where the problem may lie and what to do about it...... robby justice

Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Starting Member
jvhills is on a distinguished road

I have a 96 blazer 4x4 and it is losing every drop of tranny fluid i put in it. no visible leaks underneath. is there a seal of valve that may be causing this?any help would really be great thank you..

Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jvhills
I have a 96 blazer 4x4 and it is losing every drop of tranny fluid i put in it. no visible leaks underneath. is there a seal of valve that may be causing this?any help would really be great thank you..

You thread necro'd a 4 year old thread, to ask the exact same question as the original poster. Did you do any of the trouble shooting tests that were originally suggested by Chris015, Swartlkk, and TZFBird in this thread? Do those tests, and if you need further help post up your question and test results in your own thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: losing transmission fluid with no visible leak?