Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

low oil pressure and clank noise

Old 05-12-2007, 04:25 PM
s10_1997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default low oil pressure and clank noise

I won't lie I opened the blazer up on the highway and was going pretty fast, and when I got off the highway it started making weird noises, like a clank. It happens when I accelerate and the higher it gets in a gear the louder it gets and then quiets down again when I go into a higher gear. It also makes the noise quietly when I am not accelerating at all. Sounded a lot like exhaust but I can't be sure. So when I got off the highway my check guages light came on and my oil pressure was pretty low. I pulled into a gas station, checked the oil, a little low but not bad so I bought some more and topped it off. Well I started my car again and the oil pressure guage still showed low, and my car still made those noises. All I know is that when I idle, my oil pressure reads low and when I drive its reads semi-normal.

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4
4.6 litre v6 vortec

Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
s10_1997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: low oil pressure and clank noise

UPDATE

Well I just turned it on and looked under the hood and I am pretty sure it is NOT the exhaust. There was no smell and it was a constant clank clank clank over and over sitting at an idle. Wherever it is comming from it is behind my fan and serpentine belt.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM
fun2b1 is an unknown quantity at this point

was there ever an answer to this or did you ever figure it out.. cuz I'm having a similar issue now and I'm gunna lose my mind thanx

Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Describingnoises is a tough one to interpret. To me, a good solid "Clank" usually means arod or main bearing is spun - the low oil pressure would support this.A quieter higher pitched "tap" would usually point to a collapsed lifter, but I don't think a collapsed lifter would affect the oil pressure.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
strong blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

stop driving it and it may need an oilpump if you continue to drive it you may kill the bottom end of the engine causing it to lock up the engine would you rather spend 30 Something dollars for an oil pump or spend hell of an lot more rebuilding or buying another engine its your choice i had the same problem i caught it before i could do any serious damage

Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please use numbers here. 'Low' has absolutely no meaning if there are no points of reference. As every engine has the potential to have a different oil pressure (manufacturing tolerances, gauge tolerances, oil used, etc), there is no way for us to know what you normally have. Then there is no way of knowing what you consider 'low'... GM's definition of inadaquate oil pressure at idle is around 8psi. If you are not at or below that...

However, if it's knocking, then I wouldn't run it...