Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

lower engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lower engine knock

My first priority is to fix the digital dash connections. I don't know how long I can go w/out getting a speeding ticket by just guessing how fast I'm going. Plus it's a pain when you don't know how much gas you actually have in your tank. So thanks guys for the advice! We'll work on it today.
The major problem, aside from the rust, (which I'm working on) is the engine. It has a loud knock which seems to be coming from the lower part of the engine. I took it in and one mechanic told me I need to replace the engine! Said it would probably cost around $1500 (20 hrs. labor) Didn't expect that! But I got the impression that he didn't know exactly what it was until he could take it apart. He said it wasn't a valve thing though.
I've heard 2 other Blazers (at the bank, gas station) that sound just like mine. Is this a common thing? Can it be rebuilt? Problem is, he couldn't explain exactly what the problem is. It's a clunking loud knock. Sometimes it pauses for a second before acceleration. Always startes right away, but a big cloud of smoke is emitted from the tail pipe. A few times it's started rough. It has a 4.3 Vortec V6 engine. Otherwise it drives great, smooth, good acceleration (sporadically does the pause thing). The idle is fine-not like it wants to die, but it sounds almost like a diesel engine and the knocking is quite loud. I love the truck (it's a '91) and wonder if it's worth putting a ton of money into. Can I just drive it like this, until the engine finally dies? It's got about 127,000 miles on it. I'm stuck-any advice?

Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: lower engine knock

it really could be a lot of things. its hard to tell with out being there listing to it with a stethascope to pinpoint the noise. you got the truck cheap enough so i say do the motor swap cause whetever it is making the noise, it cant be good. drive it till it dies, then swap in a motor.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm getting a lot of feedback on the 'swap' question. Just some details that I need-like what needs to go w/the engine. Seems like a huge undertaking w/labor. But the 2000 engine has so few miles on it and I know my sister babied it.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, a loud knock could be anything. I have a '93 with 190,000 miles on it. It also makes a loud knock. Although I suspect a crank bearing in my case, or a broken connecting rod. Previous owner found metal shavings in his oil. Only way to tell for sure is to pull the oil pan. I gave him $50 for it and towed it home. I have a 4.3L engine from a fullsixe that I am going to drop in until I get this one rebuilt.

Anyway, I left you my thoughts on your delima. Sorry about not replying sooner. Spent last couple of nights under the '87 replacing the muffler and leaky tranny cooler line. What a pain in the tush.

Just had a thought, are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold where it connects to the block, or where it connects to the y-pipe?????? Its a long shot, but I have heard stranger noise discriptions in the past leading me to think one thing when it was something else completely.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:43 PM

Go on www.pistonslap.com -that is what my engine sounds like (make sure your speakers are on-doh)

Old 04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
BLAZERBOY_08 is an unknown quantity at this point

To all with an ENGINE KNOCK.
I have a 1993 Chevy Blazer Full Size 4X4. The engine knocks... I was able to trace the knock down to one of my pistons, by pulling each spark plug wire (one at a time) if the knock goes away you know you have a problem with that piston.. well in my case that was not entirely true. I dropped my exhaust and pulled my oil pan off and check the con-rod bearing for that piston, and it was perfectly fine. So i proceeded to check all of them since i was down there, they all looked very good! So now what? Well I just got off the phone with a real gear head and he told me that it is more than likely my rear main bearing. So today i will be pulling that bearing cap and with a little plasti-gage i will be doing some measuring. If this is the problem i will be letting all of you know..

-keep on truckin

Aaron Morlatt

Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

WOW... Old thread???

On a knock, it could be the rod bearings, main bearings, wrist pin, or piston slap