Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Lower Intake Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
hayndaddy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lower Intake Gasket

Back again to get some more information from this site. I own a 96 Blzr 4.3 2wd and here's what i have gotten so far. I had 3 sevice shops tell me it would cost roughly between 550-600 to replace my lower intake gaskets. Well being in the navy , 5 kids and not making any big bucks...Still low on the todem pole. I have decided to take on this project by myself. This forum has ben very helpful with the Do-It-Yourself area. But i have run into a few snags.I have removed, cleared away most of, if not all of the wiring harnesses and hoses as best as possible. Along with this site I have also been referencing the Haynes manual.I am unsure of how to remove the fuel lines that are to the side of the throttle valve. There is a transition plate that the lines run to from the throttle valve. On the back side there are two securing nuts with the remaining line that I assume runs down to the fuel filter and tank. ( I'm a rookie at working on cars/trucks but i figure i have to learn somehow!) My question is how do i remove the lines from either the transition plate or can i leave it secured and just lift it up?

Scond question is in the begining of the haynes manual it requires me to drain the radiator which I did. It also stated that i should also drain the block by unsecuring the block drain plugs. Is this an essential step that needs to be completed? I completed everything else that deals with draining the radiator with the exception of this step. I have also referenced this site for these drain plugs but eith i do not have them or I am blind. Probably blind!

I appreciate and welcome all help and knowledge!

V/r,

Chris

Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Lower Intake Gasket

Thanks for serving.

I used crows feet wrenches to remove the fuel lines. They are a pain, but doable. I didn't try regular wrenches, I didn't think I could get on those nuts properly, if memory serves me well I think I was worried the firewall was in the way.

Pull the lower rad hose off the water pump. That should drain enough coolant out of the block.

Do NOT drop anything inside the engine!!!!
Cover the valley with a rag and use a shop vac to suck up the gasket debris.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Yup,like Hanr3 says......I have used stubby wrenches to remove the fuel lines by the firewall, PIA but possible (be careful not to cross thread on assembly.

I copied a link to an intake post earlier that has some good pics, http://picasaweb.google.com/djarvis8...dGasketOnMyCar

Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a ton of posts on doing the intake manifold gaskets. There is a DIY article on it too as well as a D-Tips article that is linked to. All of them are very informative and should answer all of your questions.