Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Lower intake replacement tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 AM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road
Default Lower intake replacement tips

2000 GMC Jimmy 4x4 4dr 4.3l
My lower intake started to leak coolant out the front so Im getting ready to replace my lower intake gaskets in the next day or two here and was wondering if anyone had any tips or things i should look out for or replace while im going through. ive heard of people having lifter ticks at start up but go away and them being caused by a leaking intake gasket. true? also considering upgrading to the MPFI (just have to justify the 3-400 cost of that with the holidays being here.) also does anyone have the specific part number for the mpfi and a good place to get one at a decent price?

Last edited by Blade_24k; 12-09-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

Suggestion 1) Get the improved Felpro manifold gaskets.

as for pricing of the MPFI: From RockAuto.com:

ACDELCO 2173028 {#89060439} GM Original Equipment; Includes Instructions for Conversion from Poppet-Style Injectors

$243.79

Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Starting Member

I have so many new swear words for the GM engineers who designed this motor!!!!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:44 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

217-3028 AC Delco Amazon $234.39 free ship (California vendor takes some time). Call up Summit and they will price match and ship free today. No sales tax unless you live in Ohio. Benefit is good/easy return policy.

Another option is to buy from Amazon and take credit card offer. I got $70 off mine when I bought it from Amazon last year. If you buy a part supplied directly by Amazon as a drop ship from the manufacturer, they will charge sales tax if they have a facility in your state. But if you buy from an Amazon Vendor located in California through Amazon, you don't pay sales tax unless you live in California. Tax on $234 is considerable. Of course you are supposed to pay the out of state sales tax when you do your taxes at the end of the year. See how this works.

Need to move P/S bracket forward to get at front drivers side intake bolt. Don't need to remove it completely just slide it forward on the three studs. Note there is one additional fastener at exhaust manifold and another at very bottom of front of engine right above the pan. Total 5 nuts/bolts to remove in order to slide it forward.

Only use the Felpro gaskets for the lower intake.

Run a tap through all the intake bolt holes in the head (especially 4 blind holes on the ends) to insure they are completely clean and don't have any debris packed in them.

Wire brush all the junk off the intake bolt threads.

Apply white liquid Permatex sealer and torque in steps and in sequence to specification using an Inch Pound torque wrench. YES GET ONE! Go over them again in 24 hours.

Don't pinch any ground wires under the intake manifold on the rear passenger side.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-11-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Felpro MS98002T gasket set, and yes, it comes with rocker arm cover gaskets, replace them too.

Before you remove the distributor, you might want to rotate the crankshaft clockwise by hand until the rotor lines up with the "6" on the distributor housing, AND the index marks on the dampener line up like this:

Attached Thumbnails Lower intake replacement tips-intakemanifold001-copy.jpg   Lower intake replacement tips-43lvortecfinding1tdc-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-11-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Starting Member

ok, so i replaced the lower intake(MS98002T) and the injectors (ACDELCO 2173028). chased the bolt holes with the tap, all new bolts with thread sealer. torqued down to 132 inch pounds, not foot pounds. torqued them down in the pattern. got it all put back togeather and fired right up no problem, faster then i acctually expected it to. i figured id have to crank it a couple times. but nope, nearly instant fire. runs smooth, not going over temp, but now its smoking out the exhaust. it seems pretty white, but it doesnt seem to be losing coolant, atleast not noticeably. or burning oil. it seems like there is alot of water dripping out the tips so im assuming its burning coolant. any ideas whats up, do i have to pull it back apart and replace the gaskets again?

Old 12-27-2015, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

does sound like some coolant is getting by, that would suck

Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Starting Member

Can anyone tell me what that little bracket that holds the fuel lines down into the injector assembly. If the picture I put here loads up, it's that little gold colored one on the bottom of the pic. I unbolted mine and the POS shot off and went behind the motor and I can't find it because it never made it to the floor. So can anyone tell me what it's called and where I can get a new one?

Attached Thumbnails Lower intake replacement tips-image.png  
Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member
MississippiTexan is on a distinguished road

your local pick-a-part like parts yard? any chevy motor that uses the MPFI spider set up will have that same hold down. you can talk to your parts store and if you have an attendant that actually knows the parts not just what the computer tells them then you may be able to find one. <-- but when i worked for firestone if one of my techs lost one i just called up our local salvage yard was always faster and didn't feel like talking to a wall....

Old 12-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Starting Member

ok, i went to the junk yard and got one.

NEW PROBLEM!!!!!
I got it put back together and now it has a miss, its popping out the exhaust and running rough. I tried to adjust the distributor thinking i put it in one tooth off. wouldnt start when i moved it one ahead or one behind. so i put it back and it starts again, but runs rough and has a pop in the exhaust. i dont know whats going on. it ran great the first time i repalced the lower gasket. i got it togeather and it fired up and ran great, just smoked out the exhaust. now this time its missing and not smoking the exhaust. as far as i can tell everything is fully hooked back up.

Codes throwing
P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
P0463 Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage (been there for a while)
U1000 Class 2 Data Link Malfunction
U1096 Lost Communications with Driver Information & Displays Control System
U1064 Lost communications with Body Multiple Control System

Quick Reply: Lower intake replacement tips