Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Is my 04 ZR2 tranny shot?

Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM
chowell is on a distinguished road
Default Is my 04 ZR2 tranny shot?

Briefly,

I have been having some 4x4 issues (encoder motor). I recently tricked the computer into going back into 2hi. Running in 2hi until I can afford to fix 4x4.

The truck has been running fine for several days now. This morning the truck will not shift out of first gear. It was in the 1's last night, so I thought the tranny was so cold it did not want to shift. It has never done that. I put the truck in the garage for about an hour, and tried again. Nothing doing!

Has my tranny decided to go south? The truck only has 54K miles on it. I want this straightened out before I go fixing the 4x4 issues. I can only afford to fix one thing at a time.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

It might be in limp mode which would be back to your transfer case problems.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

How did you trick the trans going into 1st gear and how long have you had thesew problems.Do you have check engine lights and have checked to see if theres any codes for the trans?A transmission wont just quit in one day it usualy starts slowly with a variety of shifting problems then quits.Also when was the last time the filter and fluid have been changed?If you never done this it can be a big PIA but its important for the longivity of your trans.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 02-28-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:21 AM
chowell is on a distinguished road

The problem with 4x4 occurred a few weeks ago. My check 4x4 light came on. The truck was stuck in 4lo, then neutral. The computer diagnostic indicated a bad encoder motor. I have bought the part but not had it installed yet.

I tricked the computer by removing the 20 amp ATC fuse and replacing it after thirty minutes. I had to try it a few times. Finally, it went into 2hi. The truck has been running fine in 2hi for a week now. This morning it went into reverse just fine;when I put in drive it would not come out of first gear. I did not want to put too much pressure on the tranny, so I only drove around the block a few times. The engine revved up but no shift.

No engine or transmission warning lights. I have checked my tranny fluid, its nice and pink no indication of metal. However, I understand that that can be a false sense of security. The only way to really check is to drop the pan and check it for metal.

The truck has just over 54K on it. I have not changed the tranny fluid or filters yet. This is why I am baffled. The truck ran just fine yesterday.

@ Jamaroon What is limp mode? If the truck is now in 2hi, how does my transfer case enter the picture?

Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Your prolems may also be a result of a bad 1-2 gear shift cylinoids.They are in the front of the valve body.
basically limp mode is when the electrical part of your trans mission fails it puts itself in a mode where it will shift enough to get you home.Only certain gears will work and torque converter wont lock up like it should.I would drop the pan and try changing the those cylinoids they are relatively inexpensive just a piua to get to cause you have to drop the pan.If I remember correctly one cylinoid is for 1st and 3rd and the other is 2 and overdrive.dont quote me on that I may have the order wrong cause it could be 1st and 2cnd and 3rd and 4th.Either way the sylinoids are the same.