Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Mystery Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Beginning Member
FIVEHORSE is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery Coolant Leak

I was driving home today and started smelling coolant. I was close to home so I just finished my drive before inspecting. when I parked I popped the hood to find coolant steam coming out of the engine compartment. I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, but it seems to be coming from somewhere around the head/valve cover area on the driver's side. I haven't looked any further yet while I'm waiting for it to cool down, but I thought I would put it out here to see if you guys have any insight as to what my issue may be. I'm really hoping it's something I can fix myself in a day or less since I work six days a week and have very little time to spare. any ideas or past experiences are welcome. thanks everyone! Oh, I almost forgot, it's a 2000 blazer LS 4x4 vortec v-6.

-Worried work-a-holic

Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

head/valve cover area sounds like LIM (lower intake manifold gasket)/Intake manifold gasket. its kind of a pain to replace.
But, look around real well and pinpoint where its coming from just to make sure it is indeed coming from that area.

Also, Check your coolant and your oil, see if either has coolant or oil mixed in with them.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
head/valve cover area sounds like LIM (lower intake manifold gasket)/Intake manifold gasket. its kind of a pain to replace.
But, look around real well and pinpoint where its coming from just to make sure it is indeed coming from that area.

Also, Check your coolant and your oil, see if either has coolant or oil mixed in with them.
X's 2

all too common. usually starts as just a seep and makes the area just wet and then eventually the coolant finds it's way into the crankcase and that's when bad things happen...