Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
jbblazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation need help

1995 blazer front differential not engaging-I have vacuum and have gone as far as manually locking cable with vise grips to engage front end. Transfer case is engaging and dash lights all work showing the changes but still no 4wd. What is next step? Do I need to replace front drive axels or what?

Old 01-12-2016, 11:50 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jbblazer
1995 blazer front differential not engaging-I have vacuum and have gone as far as manually locking cable with vise grips to engage front end. Transfer case is engaging and dash lights all work showing the changes but still no 4wd. What is next step? Do I need to replace front drive axels or what?
Jack up the RF wheel. if the front axle is unlocked the RF wheel will easily spin. If front axle is locked in, turning the tire will turn the front driveshaft and will require a lot of effort. If front axle is not locking and cable under the battery is fully pulled by the bellows, then something is wrong with the lockup mechanism in the front axle. Lockup is accomplished by moving a splined collar to connect the RF axle. Left (driver's axle) is always engaged to the front differential. Lots of info on this in tech help section of this site. Go there for additional info.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:17 PM
jbblazer is on a distinguished road

Hey Les,
I took the Blazer to my mechanic, to much snow here for me to work on it. Thank you for your input, will let you know.