Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
VRDriver4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission??

Allright guys well I have had my blazer for about 4-5 months now. It just hit 60,000 miles and was running without any flaws. Last night my girlfreind was saying that the transmission was slipping I was like no way I doubt that. Well shure enough the damn thing is slipping all over the place. Im so frustrated right now, a truck with 60k should never need a new transmission. I dunno I just can beilive that im about to sink a large amount of money into a truck I still owe money on. How many of you expirenced this?? Are these transmission crap in our trucks or what? I don't even now if im gonna replace it i may just go trade it in and say done with it. If the transmission is gonna fail after 60k who knows what else will to. I doubt ill be buying a GM product ever again do to this but oh well.

I mean i guess my trannsmission fluid could be low but still I mean this thing is realy slipping, along with that when your at a complete stop and go to take off it will slip for a second then grab. The RPMS are flutterying and its shifting very weirdly. Well this definatly sucks and any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated. Oh ya last time i took it to the shop because i felt the tranny slipping and it wouldn't do iot for them, plus they said even if the tranny were to slip for a split second it would throw a CEL, this mechanic was prolly bull****ting me im sure.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Default RE: Transmission??

Oh ya also the time i brought it in a few months ago because i thought it was slipping and they said it wasn't, they said it was the colling fan clutch and that when they go bad it makes it seem like the slip, is this seem right or dood they just throw me for a loop so they didn't have to work on the tranny. They said it would be throwing codes if it was slipping.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, considering that you have had it for such a short time, there is no way that you can know that it wasn't abused by a previous owner. I would definitely check the fluid level first before going entirely off the deep end with it.

The 4L60E is not known to just start slipping. Now breaking the reaction sun shell... That's a different story... But to just start slipping out of the blue, most likely someone pulled a fast one when they sold it. I would hardly put this as a bad mark on all of GM especially considering that your experience isn't a wide spread one.

If you'd like, we can meet up sometime and have a look through things. If the transmission is slipping, your fluid will mostlikely be burnt. If its brown on the dip stick, there's a problem that needs addressing. May just need to have the fluid changed... While we've got the pan off, possibly change out the transmission filter even though if it's plugged up, you've got more concerns. Maybe put in a transmission oil drain plug ($8) while the pans off as well.

Heck, even things like a dirty MAF sensor can throw off things in the transmission.

And in the shop's defense, most repair shops will scan for codes, then reset the pcm and take it for a test drive while monitoring things like the CVI (clutch volume index), input/output shaft speeds, etc. If it drives normally after a PCM reset, then I'd have to lean towards an electrical fault somewhere in one of the sensors that the PCM uses to calculate the shift functions and tc lockup commands.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM

That would be awsome swart if you could give me a hand. I mean im decent working on vehicles but don't now much about my blazer at all. **** I havn't even baught a service manual for it yet. I went out to check the fluid and what not and guess whaaat my hood won't pop. WOOOP WOOOP lol i just gotta laught at this cause its killen me. Hopfully my buddy will wake up and he can give me hand with the hood. It has stuck before but it takes 2 people to get it popped. Whenever you have time swart let me no and i can shoot up to your place, pretty sweet were nice and close. Thanks for the help and let me no

Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the hood, pull the handle, then give it a sharp smack on the front/center of the hood. See if that helps (I have to do it on mine every once and awhile).

Anyway, yeah, I don't know how this weekend is going to go, but we don't have to do any work on it, just check things out to start. Or we could drop the pan and change the fluid/filter. It's messy work, but not difficult or too time consuming. If you were to get a case of trans fluid, a filter (should come with a new pan gasket), and, if you want, a B&M trans pan drain plug, I'm fairly confident that we could get it all done in under 2 hrs with a beer break.

I've got a shooting match then a bachelor party Saturday, but I should be free Sunday afternoon. Hopefully I'm feeling up to it, LOL... I'll PM you with my contact information.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Sounds good that would be awsome. I think i just have ****ty luck in the past few weeks. I baught a 4 wheeler a few weeks back just found out that needed a new transmission to. That is being payed for by the chevrolet dealership I baught it from so no sweat there but still lol. Just let me if your up to it, and we can figure it out.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Well, once you get all the parts, let me know and we can get it setup for anytime really. Heck, I may even have some time before my shoot on Saturday to do it. Like I said, it really doesn't take long to do, and do right. Almost forgot, while your purchasing parts, buy a bottle or 2 of brake cleaner. Makes cleaning off the pan a ton easier!

Old 10-07-2006, 02:57 PM

Well we checked it out and seemed to be a bit stuped as to exactly what the problem is. Obviosly its either the transmission or the torque converter, the transmission is still shifting smothly but apply some gas and it will slip in any gear that its in. inbetween 1200-2100 rpms the rpms will jump when ur at crusing speed like say your cruising at 1500 rpms steadily and the rpms will jump up a couple hundred and then drop back down. I was talking to my dad a bit about and he was saying somthing about the bands going bad in the transmission. So any who has had expirance with a bad torque converter please post what your simptoms were so i can compare and mabye get a little better idea of what direction i need to head in. Thanks for any info or input givin, and again thanks kyle(swart) for the help its greatly appreciated. If you ever need a hand with anything don't be afraid to holler.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, slipping at 60000 miles, that's hard to believe. My old '91 had the 4l60, and that trans was immaculate. I did change out the fluid and filter everyonce in a while, and that is because of my guilty conscience....lol. I do like to drive hard, and that trans. had 145,000 miles on it without a single hiccup. Basically, what i'm saying is: I think Swart is on to something when he said, "someone pulled a fast one you".

Old 10-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

See as how Adam just purchased this a few months ago this problem HAD to be existing when he purchased it and the selling dealership bandaid'd it to get it off their lot. The trans fluid was obviously changed prior to Adam picking it up. However, the fluid smells funny. Not like new fluid. It also looks thinner than new fluid.

I'm really hoping that Tim (Hanr3) or Bill (lastcoupe) can comment on the symptoms Adam has described. I can lend a hand with symptoms as I drove it when he was here. I am kinda pointing to the TC simply because when it would unlock, it would just increase in rpm, not like a normal unlock where the rpms rise, but it continues to pull.

Quick Reply: Transmission??