Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

no shift into second, but 3rd and overdrive fine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
KENTUCKYMEL is on a distinguished road
Default no shift into second, but 3rd and overdrive fine

Hello guys, maybe someone had this problem, and can save me some time. 98 2 door blazer, motor was blown, i bought it and put motor in it. went for test drive, wasn't shifting into second, at exactly 21 mph, if i let off the throttle, it will shift into 3rd,and overdrive just fine. went over everything i could check, and figured that second gear was just gone out. put in a new trans, take the blazer out to check it, and dangit no shift into second, same as before, over 21 mph, let off throttle, shifts right into 3rd and overdrive. GRRRRR !!! Then to add to my agony, my buddy needed a trans, i let him have my old one, and i'll be dam he puts it in his blazer and it runs perfectly! Every gear works perfect but second, it's like my blazer picks second out and just refuses to use it. HELP!! And no, it doesn't try to shift into second and rev up, like it's gone, it just refuses to use second. this is a new trans., and the one i took out works fine in my buddies blazer. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:20 AM
surreybrad will become famous soon enough

i realize it has been 8 years since you posted this thread but i have encountered the EXACT same situation as you and was hoping you resolved the issue. I don't want to swap in a new transmission like you only to end up with the same problem.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:47 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

If fluid level is correct and good condition it might be a vehicle speed sensor, or the pressure manifold switch on the valve body. The servo might have a clipped sealing ring. The picture above show location of sealing rings for second gear. Have you recently done a fluid change? I don’t feel that the shift solenoids are the problem as solenoid A is off and solenoid B is on for second and since you have 4th gear where A is on and B is off. Are you mistaking lock up as 4th gear?
Brad

Old 03-02-2022, 06:31 PM

The scan reads "Shift Solenoid "A" stuck open". As stated in my post and the included link to a thread 8 years ago, this guy had the exact same problem and replaced the transmission and still had the problem. So I don't want to do a tranny swap to end up there as well. His replacement tranny was then given to a friend and it worked fine which means it was an electrical issue outside of the transmission. This transmission missing second works better than any I've ever had and I've had a few. I just don't want to go chasing the usual culprits because that's the customary process. I certainly respect your knowledge and your help but is there a fuse or wire or anything that could cause this problem as it did for the guy in the link in my original post? If not I'll go to the steps yu included. What does Shift solid A (1-2) stuck open mean?

Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 PM

No there is no lock-up. I start in first to about 30 km and 3000 rpm and release the throttle and it shifts to 3rd. It shifts to overdrive, 4th, and up and down fine. It will not down shift to passing gear down to 2nd but it will from 3rd to 1st or from 4th to 3rd. It's still my daily driver. I just make sure I don't start on a hill or I have to ride up in 1st. There is no slip anywhere and all other shifts are sharp and normal up and down. It's like the evil gear thief stole my 2nd and left nothing there.