Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member
OceanChevy is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Leak

I dont know if this in the right thread or not but here it goes. The Main seal in 2001 S10 Blazer is going bad and so the oil is leaking. It is going to cost me $900 for labor and everything my mechanic said. Have any of you guys had this problem?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Rear main seal most likely. Are you sure that is where it is leaking and not from a loose oil pan? I had what I originally thought was a rear main seal leak on my old Bravada. It turned out that the pan bolts were loose. A good cleaning and torquing them back down and it never leaked again.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member

Yea i put a special dye into the oil and thats where it was leaking from. I prefer to do everything to my Blazer but i wanted a second opinion from my mechanic who i have had a for a long time and he assured me that it was that

Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the front of your flexplate wet with oil? If it is, then I would agree that the rear main is the cause. If it is not, then the rear main is doing its job properly and the leak is someplace else.

My leak looked EXACTLY like a rear main seal leak until I looked at the front of the flex plate which was dry in my case.

Just trying to save you some time, money, and aggravation.

As far as replacing the rear main seal, you have to pull either the engine, or the transmission. If you have a lift to work with, the transmission will be easier than the engine simply due to the amount of other stuff you have to disconnect/remove when pulling the motor.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member

I am going to test it one more time today and i will tell you what i find.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

I am holding off on getting a new main rear seal and i am going to try this Bars rear main seal repair see if that will stop the leak.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Beginning Member
chevyracen is on a distinguished road

in my 05 blazer my rear main went out at about 30000 miles

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OceanChevy
I am holding off on getting a new main rear seal and i am going to try this Bars rear main seal repair see if that will stop the leak.
I cringe whenever I hear people turning to a miracle in a bottle. That stuff will not work on a dynamic seal like the rear main. It is only made to work with static seals like an oil pan or valve cover gasket.

Have you verified that the rear main seal is the cause of the leak? Have you looked to see if there is oil on the front of the flex plate?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member

Yes i have and it did have oil on it. I know i am taking a chance with the sealant but i thought id try it anyway.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Ok. I was just trying to make sure that it has been verified as the issue. Too many times a loose or leaking pan gasket has been mistaken as a rear main seal leak and people have been soaked by a dishonest mechanic who just tightened a pan or replaced a pan gasket while charging for a rear main seal change.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak