Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Okay to put a RWD Oil Filter on a 4WD Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:00 PM
zdkaiser is on a distinguished road
Default Okay to put a RWD Oil Filter on a 4WD Blazer?

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum, and have a question for you all.

I changed the oil today on my 4WD 2004 Chevy Blazer 4.3L. Anyways, I was midway through the oil change, and I realized that I had accidentally bought the oil filter for the RWD Blazer. I live 15miles from town, and had drained the oil out of the truck already, so I said, "ahh hell, and just used the RWD filter."

I put on a FRAM PH3387A (for RWD models), when I should have used the FRAM PH3980 for my 4WD. The RWD oil filter is a bit shorter than the 4WD filters.

My question is: is this going to be a problem? The RWD filter fit perfectly and had a good seal; it just wasn't as large as the 4WD filters.

I do not use the 4WD that often, if that matters. I will be swapping oil in about 3000 miles again because I drive on dirt roads 90% of the time. I believe the smaller filter should last for 3K. What do you all think?

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I must of picked out the wrong filter when I was using that thick directory book in Walmart. Lesson learned.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

It is 100% fine. Same threads and all that, just 2" shorter.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yeah you will be just fine with that filter. Most 4wd guys have to put a smaller filter off a cavalier or sunfire on after the delete the remote oil lines and put the filter back on the block cause of clearance issues so you don't need to worry.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Yeah you will be just fine with that filter. Most 4wd guys have to put a smaller filter off a cavalier or sunfire on after the delete the remote oil lines and put the filter back on the block cause of clearance issues so you don't need to worry.

Is that easy to do? I just replaced my remote oil cooler lines and I think they are gonna start leaking again here soon.

I would like the oil filter connected directly to the block, but I thought part of the engine (motor mount?) prevented this. I swear I read that with a 4wd there wasn't enough room to mount the filter directly to the block.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The motor mount only makes removal and replacement of the lines hard once they are outta the way it's as simple as screwing in the adapter and the filter after that! Like I stated before you will probably need the shorter filter for clearance tho. Mine is really easy and I can use a regular filter since I don't have a front diff in the way anymore lol!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I put the filter right on the block, I will never look back.
You will need GM# 14081300 to thread into the block once you get the adapter off.
And the oil filter I use is WIX 51036

Old 10-26-2014, 05:40 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
I put the filter right on the block, I will never look back.
You will need GM# 14081300 to thread into the block once you get the adapter off.
And the oil filter I use is WIX 51036
the short version of that filter is 51040 and the same used on the 2WD

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the information everyone. It has been a big help. I just replaced the remote cooler hoses with the Dorman aftermarket hoses. I have a feeling they may start leaking soon. Not too impressed by the quality.

Anyways, I was curious if the filter is easily accessible when attached directly to the block with the adapter. I change my own oil, but I don't use jackstands or ramps. I am thin enough that I can just squirrel under the vehicle to do the job. If I attach the filter to the block, can I still reach it easily?

Thanks all.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by zdkaiser
Thanks for the information everyone. It has been a big help. I just replaced the remote cooler hoses with the Dorman aftermarket hoses. I have a feeling they may start leaking soon. Not too impressed by the quality.

Anyways, I was curious if the filter is easily accessible when attached directly to the block with the adapter. I change my own oil, but I don't use jackstands or ramps. I am thin enough that I can just squirrel under the vehicle to do the job. If I attach the filter to the block, can I still reach it easily?

Thanks all.
If you build your own cooler lines, they won't leak like the doormans will. I've got over a year on my homemade lines, without a single drip.

But, if you really, really wanna remove the cooler altogether, and put the filter on the block, there's good information on here about how to do it.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Anyways, I was curious if the filter is easily accessible when attached directly to the block with the adapter on a 4x4 model. I change my own oil, but I don't use jackstands or ramps. I am thin enough that I can just squirrel under the vehicle to do the job. If I attach the filter to the block, can I still reach it easily by hand?

I ask, because the Dorman cooler lines that I just replaced the OEM with like 5 months ago are leaking already from the metal crimps. I'm very disappointed.

Quick Reply: Okay to put a RWD Oil Filter on a 4WD Blazer?