Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hose problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Hose problem

Hey everyone. I had two problems today with 2 separate hoses on this engine, which is totally weird. The first incident was the radiator hose connected to the thermostat tube. I found it looking like it was pulled out and there is some kind of yellow junk between the hose and tube. It was dripping antifreeze also, which it wasn't doing 3 days ago. I took it to the local shop and they said all they had to do was tighten the hose clamp a couple times and it wasn't pulled out. No big deal. 15 minutes labor. Not going to take the risk with a radiator hose. I couldn't do it myself either. Not about to work on this truck in 0-10 degree weather. It looks like the end of the hose is right near the "lip" on the tube. Could it be pulled out with the hose clamp wrapped around the end of the thermostat tube?

The second incident was just a few hours later. I have a cold air intake on this truck and there is a tube connected from the passenger side of the engine to the back of the intake. On this one I used a hose clamp. A few hours after the repair, I found the hose clamp loose and the hose pulled all the way out. I noticed this just after washing the truck once the temperature warmed up (but the area around it was dry). I did notice a strange "sputter" sound when starting the engine for the past couple times before finding that. Could any damage occur when this tube comes off since air is getting in that is not passing though the filter? No codes were set. Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Time Out
XxIRISH63xX is on a distinguished road

On your first question, when you say yellow junk, does it look like burnt antifreeze? Did you or someone mix standard AF, and the dex-cool because that will eventually turn to jelly and really F*$K things up! especially that cold. BrRRRRRRrrrrr!

Second note how long was the tube off? (i don't think it will be a problem). Has your truck been backfiring or just a sputter, that could potentially blow the hose at the back of the CAI off. Has the truck been running hot? I know its hard to tell in the cold.

And you said there are no codes, Do you mean no SES light, or did you scan it?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh GOD lets not get into the myths about Dexcool in this thread! We already have dispelled all of that FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) in another thread already.

As far as the leak at the radiator hose, could you maybe snap a picture to show how far the hose is engaged onto the thermostat housing? The thermostat housing should have a raised lip on the end of it that should prevent the hose from coming off when the clamp is tightened down properly.

About the fresh air return on the back of the throttle body intake 'hat'. That shouldn't need a clamp, but if the rubber elbow is disintegrated... It is just going over a plastic nipple on the back of the 'hat' anyway so I wouldn't tighten a clamp down much. If the elbow is falling apart, you should replace it.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

XxIRISH63xX:
There is no Dexcool and standard antifreeze mix. I had the entire system flushed last April along with a new thermostat. The shop is a small town radiator shop and the owner used Prestone in this truck.

The engine seems to be running just fine. It was making that "sputter" noise when it starts. It isn't even hitting the notch before 210 degrees. I did scan it and there were no codes.

Swartlkk:

Not trying to start another DEXCOOL thread. Already been there with intake gaskets in 2009 and brown junk in the radiator less than 15k after the last coolant change (last one before the April 2010 flush was in July 2009). I switched to Prestone after that because I did not want to use a product subject to alot of controversy. There is no new junk in the radiator. Just what was leftover after the last coolant change (which is minimal).

I'll take a photo when I go out to the truck later and post it here.

The elbow looks fine. I put a clamp there originally after a tip from a friend of mine. It isn't that snug on the CAI, so I thought it was a good idea. It isn't that tight. Just an added measure of security. I will check it and replace the elbow if needed. Thanks.

Photos attached.

Also, I just noticed a faint "ticking" sound coming from the driver side of the engine. I cannot hear anything from the passenger side. This is with the engine warm and otherwise quiet. Could there be damage related to this? I am using Mobil1 with Rislone and oil pressure is steady at 40 at idle, so I am assuming that it can't be the bearings?

Attached Thumbnails Hose problem-0126112114a.jpg   Hose problem-0126112114e.jpg   Hose problem-0126112114d.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-26-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.