Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

P1345

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Lakings00 is on a distinguished road
Default P1345

Hey guys, so I did my timing set and new cover and am still having trouble starting only well it's cool outside. Having a rough start, I'm thinking ignition timing might be off? I am getting the p1345 code. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 11:34 AM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Yes, if memory serves me right u are 1 tooth off......which equates to roughly 27.5 degrees of timing......

Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

actually P1345 tells he is at least 1 tooth off (could be more, or even 180° out).

Put engine on TDC#1 just after 1# cylinder has compression (use correct timing mark on the balancer lined up with the mark on the timing cover - yes Google it - there are two marks on the balancer), and drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the "6" that is cast into the top lip of the distributor housing. Turn oil pump with a huge screwdriver if distributor doesn't want to fall into the correct place. When running and no P1345 has been verified, then check and adjust cam sensor retard to 0° ± 2° using a capable scanner.

On these engines timing is not adjustable since it is determined by the crank sensor and the PCM, but rotor position is important when the spark occurs and cam sensor retard is a measure of where this happens.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, I had done everything that was described there while putting it back together. #1 tdc and had distributor back in, I guess my question now is which timing mark on my balancer and do I rotate clockwise? Do I need to fix cam retard before I go to start again. Start is rough as hell as of now

Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lakings00
Thanks for the reply guys, I had done everything that was described there while putting it back together. #1 tdc and had distributor back in, I guess my question now is which timing mark on my balancer and do I rotate clockwise? Do I need to fix cam retard before I go to start again. Start is rough as hell as of now
OK I'm sorry I went back and reread your first post and your engine starts and runs. So you can't be very far off. I would fix it before starting again.

Turning the engine clockwise (looking from the front like you are tightening the balancer bolt), go past the first mark and line up the second mark with timing cover. Both marks will end up on the driver's side of the balancer. One lined up with the timing cover, and the other nearly on the bottom. Then look at where the rotor is pointing. Should be very close to the "6". If not, pull the distributor and drop it in so rotor is very close to pointing to the "6" (never seems to be exact, but is close). Once you have got rid of the P1345, it should run much better. If you want optimal, then you can deal with the cam sensor retard.

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-23-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
OK I'm sorry I went back and reread your first post and your engine starts and runs. So you can't be very far off. I would fix it before starting again.

Turning the engine clockwise (looking from the front like you are tightening the balancer bolt), go past the first mark and line up the second mark with timing cover. Both marks will end up on the driver's side of the balancer. One lined up with the timing cover, and the other nearly on the bottom. Then look at where the rotor is pointing. Should be very close to the "6". If not, pull the distributor and drop it in so rotor is very close to pointing to the "6" (never seems to be exact, but is close). Once you have got rid of the P1345, it should run much better. If you want optimal, then you can deal with the cam sensor retard.
So the issue I'm still have is the hard start and it's taken out 2 starters and I can't really figure out why it's starting so hard.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Do you still have the P1345? If so, you need to deal with it first before expecting anything to be right.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Do you still have the P1345? If so, you need to deal with it first before expecting anything to be right.
thats kind of where I'm lost at, like I said I have done everything as far as timing and dizzy and compression stroke on TDC. It runs great after it's been started, but that there is my problem. P1345 is still there, frustrating the hell out of me. Also after I did all of that and put everything back together it fires right up. But as soon as I shut it off and go to restart it acts like a B!tch. Thanks for the feedback guys