Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

P1345 Crank Shaft Cam Shaft sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P1345 Crank Shaft Cam Shaft sensor

I have this code. I had a new Cam put in a while ago and since I already had the Check Engine light on I did not see if this 'new ' code came up after the Cam replacement.
Anyway After fighting a PO442 code I cleared the codes and now I see this one.

Can someone be specific? Does this code mean that possibly The Cam and Crank sensors look at each other to make sure the Timing is correct? The car Starts and runs fine.

Of is one or of the sensors not functioning?

Will the P code cause an Inspection failure?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need a CASE relearn performed. This is required whenever replacing any one of the timing components (distributor, CMP, CKP, timing set, & cam).

I don't think that the presence of this code would cause an inspection failure, but stranger things have happened.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM

CASE relearn? Please educate me on this.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try a quick search or two for "CASE+relearn" and read up!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Before the CASE relearn. What should I see on the Cam and Crank Sensor to test them? Unplug and put a Volt meter on the connector .. crank and look for a jump in voltage?

This CASE relearn.. I can't imagine why it needs this is the Timing is Right. It appears that this will prevent it from passing NYS emissions testing even though the car runs as it should.
Pretty soon there will be a sensor on the Saet Foam saying it's worn out, will not pass OBD2 inspection. Too Much Big Brother

Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

A CASE learn allows the PCM to know the precise position of the crank in relation to the cam. Differences in sensors and mechanical parts all add up to a different crankshaft/camshaft variation value in the PCM.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 AM

I understand. I guess I don't see why if the Timing is right after replacing the parts. Why is there this kind of intense procedure? I did a little reading and this is not something can can be performed by the DYI'r with just a Code Reader.
If the emission levels are good.. the computer should not care how I want to set my engine. The definitive word here in MINE. In this case all I did was replace a Bad Cam, new Timing Chain with Stock parts. I should not have drop money at a dealer when the car is fine.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

The procedure is there because that is how the system works. It isn't there to screw the little guy, it is there so that the PCM can know the precise location of all of the moving parts in the timing system to accurately provide spark for efficient combustion. It also is there so that the PCM can detect potentially harmful misfires and take the appropriate measures quickly and accurately.

No use getting all pissed off about it...

Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Well I'm not sure about The Little Guy comment. Selling cars is not where the money is. It's in the Service.

I think They could have put a Momentary On switch on the side of the PCM and the owners manual would state. After Bringing engine to TDC and checking the sprocket marks on Cam and Crank.. Line distributor on #1 plug and push Switch. Something like that. You know if I walk into a Chevy dealer and said Do a CASE rel;earn.. The guy is going to go through a song and dance on how they have to verify this and check that and leave the car overnight. I wont be able to get this done for under $500

Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Administrator

OK, so the manufacturer should have put a DIY solution in place for something that may never happen over the life of a vehicle... Good luck with that. Why not put a 2nd transmission in the back for the eventuality that the first one will wear out! Your logic is flawed... But that is getting a bit too far from the topic at hand.

All ranting aside...this shouldn't cost you over 1hr worth of labor. A CASE learn at my local dealer takes 15 minutes and they charge $60. Of course, if you go in there not knowing what to expect and actually buy into their BS, then shame on you. But if you go in and state that you had to replace the cam & timing set, now have a P1345 code, and the diagnostic chart says I need a CASE learn; Please do a CASE learn ONLY, what are they going to do?

Quick Reply: P1345 Crank Shaft Cam Shaft sensor