Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

power steering pump pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:47 PM
ant2297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default power steering pump pulley help

iv been so frustrated with this truck, all it gives me is problems. i replace the intake manifold gaskets and im nearly done. all i need to do is install the power steering pump pulley, the rad, and air duct. now, i now theres a threaded hole in the shaft of the PS pump. im using the right size bolt(i know this cause its screwing in fine) and 2 washers with a nut holding them on the bolt. as i turn the bolt the washers sit on the pulleys hub with the nut holding them firmly against it. but as i turn the bolt all i am doing it bending the washers outward big time. i tried to used a socket, then a washer, then a nut on the bolt, but the same thing happens. seems like it is seized on. i have maybe a little more then 1/4' to go and its fully on. the belt is also on to keep the pulley from turning. why and i having trouble with stuff like this i dont see how my method wont work. i should of just payed the money to let someone do it.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: power steering pump pulley help

It takes tremendous pressure to install and remove the power steering pump. You cannot use typical washers and hope that they will not bend. Most pullers also are accompanied by a special bolt and anvil (very thick washer/nut assembly) to reinstall the pulley. If you need a picture of one, I can see if I can find mine and snap one.