Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Probable transmission problem? Help diagnose/advise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, sorry for the super long-overdue reply/update. I eventually took the Jimmy in just for some diagnosis work to help point me in the right direction. Well, what happened is when the EGR tube cracked and burned up all those parts, it also burned a pretty sizable hole right into the upper intake manifold/plenum! So I paid a guy on craigslist $20 for a new one, and pulled and replaced. I had such trouble with the fuel lines though, that while putting them on (I don't even want to tell you how I did it) I broke my Throttle Position Sensor. That was last weekend. Now I have to undo everything I did and pull the whole Plenum off again. Shouldn't be too hard or too long to do though, now that I've done it a few times.

What I'm experiencing now is the terrible exhaust sound is gone, but the car still bogs down. It seems like the engine has the power to act normal, but like something is holding it back. The shifting is weird, and it wont go more than about 35 miles per hour. Maybe that's all related to the TPS, I don't know. Additionally, I was test driving it on the dirt road next to my house, and it really struggled to get up the slope of the hill that the dirt road is on. The cruise control is working again, so looks like at least some of my vacuum issues are remedied.
Anyway, thought I'd update, just in case someone else down the line has a similar problem.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Cruise is all electronic, no vacuum involved. Have you repaired all of the issues with vacuum leaks in the image above? With all of those leaks, the engine will run lean and probably set both of your lean DTC's.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Cruise is all electronic, no vacuum involved. Have you repaired all of the issues with vacuum leaks in the image above? With all of those leaks, the engine will run lean and probably set both of your lean DTC's.

As far as I know, all vacuum leaks have been repaired. The TPS is the only thing left that I can think of which may be screwed up. I accidentally hit the top of it with a hammer or something, and broke some of the plastic off the top. I'm not certain if that's actually effecting it, but I can understand if it would.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Are there any DTC's in memory now? If there are no DTC's for the TPS, that means it's working. The TPS is monitored continuously, and if there's a problem, even an intermittent one, it will put the DTC in memory and turn the light on.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Starting Member

Checked it today. Throwing codes P0108, P0107, AND P0102.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 PM

Were the DTC's retrieved in that order?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Were the DTC's retrieved in that order?
No.
In order, they read P0108, P0102, P0107, and then P0108 again.
I would think it is my MAF, but I can't rule out that the wiring I had to redo because of the wiring damage isn't causing some problem.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 PM

I was looking through the schematic trying to find a common denominator. Haven't had any luck yet. What wiring was damaged?

Old 12-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Starting Member

the only wiring that i replaced was to the coolant temperature sensor. The wires to the AC compressor were destroyed, and some others had the plastic singed down to the metal, so I covered it with electrical tape.
Merry Christmas btw.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 AM

With the ignition in the RUN position, engine OFF: Check for battery voltage on the pink wire at the MAF sensor. Also check for ~5 volts on the grey wire at the MAP sensor.

Quick Reply: Probable transmission problem? Help diagnose/advise?