Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Question on changing plugs 1995 Blazer 4.3

Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 PM
NRA Life Member is on a distinguished road
Default Question on changing plugs 1995 Blazer 4.3

We are changing plugs on the 1995 4wd Blazer. All plugs are changed except for cylinder 3. It has the steering shaft right in the way and we can't get a wrench on it. We can put a spark plug socket on the plug but then there's not enough room to get the ratchet on the back or a wrench on the back of the socket. Any tricks for getting this plug out? Use a normal socket? All the rest are done but this one.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

5/8 socket with knuckle,or pull the shaft

Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by chris015
5/8 socket with knuckle,or pull the shaft
We thought about the socket after dinner tonight so I might send the boy back out to try that. Didn't look at pulling the shaft though. Is it as tough to get out as everything else on this infernal truck????

Thanks for the reply

Old 12-17-2013, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I disconnected the shaft at the steering box. took maybe a minute. One or two bolts, I can't remember, but it was easy. either have an assistant hold the shaft up out of the way, or wire it back, which is what I did.

Some people claim to be able to get a socket on there, but I couldn't. removing the shaft was easiest for me

Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
Tenagator is on a distinguished road

I just did mine a few weeks ago, I used the spark plug socket with a swivel on the end then a long extension, it worked out fine.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Vader is on a distinguished road

When I did mine I could do all of them but #3. What a pain in the a**! I ended up not being able to disconnect the steering shaft so I just took it to a mechanic I knew and had him do the last one. Disconnecting the shaft is supposidly the easiest way.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the inputs everybody. My son who has skinnier hands than me was able to get a standard 5/8 socket on that plug and barely have room for the swivel. He got it changed. We changed out the Distributor cap and rotor also. The wires were still pretty new so they stayed. It is running great now. Thank you everybody!!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, we have an entire thread in the Tech Article (DIY) section devoted to this topic --> #3 Spark Plug Removal

Old 12-18-2013, 03:26 PM

That's good stuff right there. I did a search early on but that one didn't come up. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Starting Member
nl_dwrd is on a distinguished road

I heard that there is a socket you can buy to change that plug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on changing plugs 1995 Blazer 4.3