Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

quick question about transfer case removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
wrxin is on a distinguished road
Default quick question about transfer case removal

(1996 4x4 Automatic)

I'm knee deep in my engine replacement project, working on it an hour here and an hour there. I'm at the point of removing the transfer case.

My question is this. I've read you have to remove the transmission cross member, support the transmission, all that good stuff. But I'm not sure where to separate the transfer case from the transmission.

There appears to be two places where I could separate them.

It looks like I could leave the transmission cross member in place and unbolt the transfer case from the bracket that holds everything to the cross member. If it will separate here, I wouldn't have to remove the transmission cross member right away.

The other option appears to be to remove the cross member and then unbolt the transfer case from the transmission taking the mounting bracket out with the transfer case. This option requires that I keep the transmission supported because the cross member would be out.

Does that make sense?

Where do I separate the two?

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Ive always left the cross member when pulling the t-case... much easier that way. Just remember there is a seal between the t-case and trans adapter that will have to be replaced / RTV'd when you reassemble.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

There are 5 bolts on the front of the transfer case. Easiest way IMO.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by KM346
Ive always left the cross member when pulling the t-case... much easier that way. Just remember there is a seal between the t-case and trans adapter that will have to be replaced / RTV'd when you reassemble.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping. I have the car up on jack stands to make it easier to get at the t-case and I was trying to envision how I'd take the car off jack stands (to pull the engine and trans as a unit) while the transmission is being supported by a jack.

If I can separate the t-case after the cross member bracket and leave the transmission supported on the cross member that would be very cool.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

from my experiences always take off the bolts attaching the transfercase from the adapter. anytime ive ever taken the bolts out of the transmission itself they always seem to rip up the threaded holes for some reason. some s10s kinda suck due the torsion bar crossmember being back there and it maybe tight getting that transfercase out of there but it will come out

Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
from my experiences always take off the bolts attaching the transfercase from the adapter. anytime ive ever taken the bolts out of the transmission itself they always seem to rip up the threaded holes for some reason. some s10s kinda suck due the torsion bar crossmember being back there and it maybe tight getting that transfercase out of there but it will come out
Thanks again! The Haynes manual and lots of Internet posts say to take the trams cross member off. I'm glad I don't have to!